Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I kind of like Road Warrior Class - because that's what they are - Road Warriors - it stays with the Pontiac theme. My second vote would be for Concouers D' Ordinaire

Rust,... isn't that another name for patina?

It's called Tüf. And the reason the Europeans have that tight of a car inspection (every 2 years) is because when you're tooling down the Autobahn at 160 clicks (kilometers per hour), your uni-body car had better be in the best mechanical and physical shape to protect yourself and the others around you. We, unfortunately, only manage to legally drive at about 85 - 95 clicks in this country

-r-
    Last edited by RHoffman; December 21st, 2009 at 21:11.
    Social engineering: because there is no patch for human stupidity.

Ahmadinejad - properly pronouced "im-a-nut-job"

022561 Guest

Ron, you don't know me or Jeff very well. Seriously though (well I guess I was serious) those speed limits are coming down at least in Germany because of the greenies big gaines in government. In some of the places that I used to drive flat out now have limits. Now it's much faster to take the train from the north-south direction than by autobahn compaired to 20 years ago.

Don

Thumbs up Proposed "driver" class......

For those that are unacquainted with Frank & Penny, they are the real deal . Sharren & I have had the pleasure of traveling cross country with the San Marcos and members of the GP Chapter on numerous occasions and they always drive one of their rehabbed/restored classic Pontiacs on these trips and also when traveling to the POCI Nationals from their home in Texas. They are passionate about Pontiacs and Pontiac people and believe that they are meant to be driven.

The proposed class is a terrific idea and hopefully will grow the number of POCI members that attend with their Pontiacs. We have been using the same appeal in the local SoCal chapters (SCCPOCI & SCGG/GTOAA club) to increase classic car attendance @ our monthly events w/ good success.

Les
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1966 GTO Sport Coupe
    1968 Grand Prix
    1972 Trans Am clone

022561 Guest

Hi Les, I was wondering what has happened to sccpoci? they used to keep a up to date web site with pictures of every show and a event calendar. scgg's webb site is so far out of date I thought the club chapter went under. The club used to hold a western region meet of gtoaa every year. There is a note from Dave Anderson that something new was coming to the web site in spring of 2009, but that has come and gone. I would think part of the drive for new members would be exposure, and you can't do that if your webb sites have gone cold.
    FYI Les, sorry I didn't answer your P/M's, as I had a rough time with my computer and server at the time.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by RHoffman View Post
    I kind of like Road Warrior Class - because that's what they are - Road Warriors - it stays with the Pontiac theme. My second vote would be for Concouers D' Ordinaire

Rust,... isn't that another name for patina?

It's called Tüf. And the reason the Europeans have that tight of a car inspection (every 2 years) is because when you're tooling down the Autobahn at 160 clicks (kilometers per hour), your uni-body car had better be in the best mechanical and physical shape to protect yourself and the others around you. We, unfortunately, only manage to legally drive at about 85 - 95 clicks in this country

-r-
    Ron, your going to have to move NORTH, speed is 100km/p/hr [62mph] but everyone goes 120 or you get run over!!! Get caught at 50k over & you loose your lic on the spot for [I think] 30 to 90 days & vehicle is impounded for 30 days at your expense!!! NO IF'S ANDS OR BUTS your guilty!!! I know of only one case so far that they "beat" it. Fine is 5 grand on top of everything else, & you can "kiss" your insurance co. good bye
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

Default SoCal Pontiac Clubs update.........

Quote Originally Posted by 022561 View Post
    ...........I was wondering what has happened to sccpoci?....scgg's webb site is so far out of date I thought the club chapter went under...........Don
    Hi Don,

Both club's are suffering from the same problem: lack of volunteers . The 10 SCGG members that produced the GTOAA's Western Regional meets for twenty years are the same 10 SCCPOCI members that produced the POCI Western Regionals, as well as the annual Show & Shine and Fudd's show. Same problem with recruiting & retaining club officers and webmasters.

The current SoCal Pontiac specific event scene includes the annual Fudd's show (90 cars last year) and one or two Dave Anderson produced Jim Wanger's events @ Jim's garage or the Barona drag strip.

Les
    1966 GTO Sport Coupe
    1968 Grand Prix
    1972 Trans Am clone

Quote Originally Posted by Les Iden View Post
    Hi Don,

Both club's are suffering from the same problem: lack of volunteers . The 10 SCGG members that produced the GTOAA's Western Regional meets for twenty years are the same 10 SCCPOCI members that produced the POCI Western Regionals, as well as the annual Show & Shine and Fudd's show. Same problem with recruiting & retaining club officers and webmasters.

The current SoCal Pontiac specific event scene includes the annual Fudd's show (90 cars last year) and one or two Dave Anderson produced Jim Wanger's events @ Jim's garage or the Barona drag strip.

Les
    Les, we had the "same" problem with the show my club put on for 32 yrs. 15 to 16 members & only around 6 of us did all the work!!! We averaged about 300 to 375 cars show up [all makes] & it was a ZOO trying to get them parked while the "non helpers" just wandered around talking to friends!! As I memtioned in other posts, the costs "killed us" & we shut it down
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

Default Idea for a "Driven" classification

I REALLY like the idea of a “driven class”. The Points Judged and Popular Vote cars are to be admired; these cars are to be learned from.

The convention shouldn't be entirely a beauty contest or a museum tour. A part of the convention should be like a cruise-in; just bring what you have. It gives a chance for everyone to participate and talk about what they have - and each car has a unique story no matter what kind of shape it is in.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, one of the club's purposes is to preserve the history of Pontiacs, Oaklands and GMCs. There is just as much technical knowledge to be learned from an old clunker as there is a pristine car. Do you know any medical students that only study healthy people?

Let me give you an example - A couple of years ago I was at the AACA Fall Hershey meet and was chatting with the owner of a pitiful, rusty, 1938 Buick Limousine. You didn't even want to look at it, unless you love a restoration challenge.

I found out the only reason the car wasn't in the crusher was because it was former Alabama Governor George Wallace's parade car, and someone thought it might have historical significance. While I was talking to the owner, a Buick Judge/Technical Advisor came by with some "judges in training" from a Buick Club. He was pointing out some things about the limo that they typically don't get to see because there just aren't many 1938 Buicks of any model around. The limo did have pretty good fenders, and the judge was showing the trainees the detail of the fenders and fender-mounted turn signals so they would recognize OEMs on other Buick sedans and models. The owner corrected the judge and said "you won't see these on other Buick models". The judge said "I have studied these extensively and they look identical to what was used on the Buick sedans." The owner said "That's what I thought too, until I bought some extra OEM fenders from a 1938 Buick sedan and found they wouldn't fit on this car. The Limo's are slightly longer, but look the same". It turns out that the Buick limos had slightly elongated fenders to make them look proportionally the same to the slightly longer chassis. The owner found that out by trial and error in an attempt to secure spare parts, and the "technical expert" judge had never learned that from all his years of looking at cars and reading books. So by chance, two people talking for a few minutes about what they knew, and a whole new fact was documented. Had the owner not been there when these trainee judges were being instructed, an erroneous understanding might have continued into the next generation and beyond.

Other facts that came to light while I watched the owner/judge discussion: The judge told the owner that someone had replaced one of the cigarette lighters in the back seat with the wrong one. The judge knew that limos had two cigarette lighters in the back, one on the left (behind the driver) and one the right. The one on the right was smaller. The owner corrected him and informed him that in those days, the man rode in the back on the left side, and the women was on the right so she could step out directly on the curb. Men preferred cigars at the time, so Buick put a larger lighter on the left for men to light cigars, and a smaller one on the right for ladies to light cigarettes. The judge never heard of this, but did some research and came back later in the day and confirmed it. So another erroneous belief was corrected before the trainees could perpetuate it to the next generation.

Also, the judge had seen an empty slot next to the lighter on other cars, and always assumed it was for ashes. As bad as this limo was, it still had the original factory small pencil and stainless steel covered note pad in that slot! It turns out that slot was for holding a factory-option note pad for the ladies in the limo - and this might have been the only car in existence where that pad was still in place after 70 years!

To make a long story short, the car did have significance, but not because a governor rode in it. But because it had some unique features that technical advisors and historians could see in person without relying on folk lore - or advertising materials that may or may not represent what went into production (I know where there are thousands of 2010 Saturn advertising books and those cars are not going to see production!)

Every worn out daily-driver has a story to tell and lessons that could be learn - the best way to determine how to restore a car (or determine if a restored car is correct) is to see as many unrestored cars as you can, no matter what their condition.

So I am in favor of this third "show" to increase participation, and knowledge preservation.

As for a name for this third show (or category), I am thinking of how an archeologist my view these treasures; these remains of history that can tell a story. Something like:
    --Relic Gathering
    --Parade of Fossils
    --Living Library
    --Diamonds in the Rough

Actually those names might sound offensive to some because modern slang has equated fossils and relics with worn out and useless. So maybe someone might think of something better?

Tim Maddox - POCI 016296
    Primary 2010 Convention Preview article author and Associate Scapegoat
    E-mail: tmaddox@nisource.com

P.S. I am beginning to wonder about Pontiac limos
    Last edited by TimMaddox; December 29th, 2009 at 12:58. Reason: spelling and grammar

I like a lot. I always look forward to going to Indiana pontiacs to see what Steve brings home. My favorite car is a 66 catalina 4 dr with ac. That car still has the original packard plug wires attached.
    A couple pictures of my driver.

patrick
    ps the painted squares are from my daughters history project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don,

Yes, speeds are slowing down on the autobahn, basically because of 2 reasons - insurance (won't usually pay if you were traveling over 130 km/hr - my uncle is retired Polzei so I get the latest skinny on traffic laws (not by choice...mind you )) TRAFFIC and construction. Although I did make it from Frankfurt to Berlin in 5 hours last May.

Patrick... Nice ride. I'd like to take that for a cruise some time.... It looks a whole lot better since you ditched those hubcaps. You send me that wiring harness yet?

As far as the drive class goes... I put 4k miles on mine this year alone.

-r-
    Social engineering: because there is no patch for human stupidity.

Ahmadinejad - properly pronouced "im-a-nut-job"