Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Driven Class Proposal

Frank & I (Penny) read Don's Dec editorial also and had this reaction to it: let us know what you think.
    We have started plans for a new Class for Driven Cars at the conventions. This would be for all members who drive their cars to the convention but for whatever reason have no desire to have them judged. This would be for any car in any stage of restoration to completely and nicely restored or any original or unrestored car. In other words, what ever you drive & love bring it. They would be displayed by decades with all models of that decade included. Each participant would receive a certificate of participation suitable for framing with a place for the # of miles driven. That info would be on the dash display cards also.
    The class needs a good name and we solicit your ideas on that as well as feed back on the entire idea. Names submitted include Pontiac's Road Warriors, Decades of Pontiac Power, Decades of Pontiac Excitement.
    You get the idea, now give us some of yours.

022561 Guest

Why not use what we have now. A display only class.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by frank66 View Post
    frank & i (penny) read don's dec editorial also and had this reaction to it: Let us know what you think.
    We have started plans for a new class for driven cars at the conventions. This would be for all members who drive their cars to the convention but for whatever reason have no desire to have them judged. This would be for any car in any stage of restoration to completely and nicely restored or any original or unrestored car. In other words, what ever you drive & love bring it. They would be displayed by decades with all models of that decade included. Each participant would receive a certificate of participation suitable for framing with a place for the # of miles driven. That info would be on the dash display cards also.
    The class needs a good name and we solicit your ideas on that as well as feed back on the entire idea. Names submitted include pontiac's road warriors, decades of pontiac power, decades of pontiac excitement.
    You get the idea, now give us some of yours.
    drove it here?????
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    Maybe Pontiac Street Class....
    I like this

Quote Originally Posted by 022561 View Post
    Why not use what we have now. A display only class.

Don
    If it's set up like it was last yr the display only class was shoved out behind the Nutter Center and Most we talked to didn't know it was there, they thought it was swap meet vendor parking. It took us 3 days to realise what it was. Maybe we're a little dense but that's the truth.

I think a 30 mile or so drive that participants in this class could participate in to a prechosen destination for lunch or some other activity would be a great addition to the event. Travel at the pace of the slowest participant, and if there happens to be a problem [god forbid] there's strength in numbers. It'd also be a great way to meet others who drive their cars.

I'm in favor of Road Warriors, It keeps the traditional Pontiac theme and I suggested it!

I see this as a great way to draw members out to participate in class that they don't have to compete against overestored cars with thier street car.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Nixon; December 19th, 2009 at 21:39.

022561 Guest

Hey Mike, It dosen't really make any difference what you call it, I kind of like street class like Jeff said. The Olds club calls it street stock, but it sounds to me like you all just want some exposure and respect. This reminds me of the old days when you drove a GTO or forbid a Tempest to a Pontiac show, the old timers made you feel like you drove a sub standard Pontiac and so I'm told that is one of the reasons why GTOAA came about, and much later why specialty chapters in POCI were formed. But now I think the administration will listen. Participation of a show or convention in the planning stages can sometimes assure recognition and if there is none at least you know where you stand.

Don

This is exactly what the GTOAA display class is for. Some people dont want their cars judged against a points scale or other cars, but like them to be seen. Usually the biggest complaint that I hear is that the registration amount is the same even though they are not eligible for any trophies. The idea of a certificate for display only is a good thought.
    2004 GTO TR m6 2004 SAP,D-1SC Procharger,4.0 pulley,Siemens 60# injectors,Walbro 340,KB BAP,160 T-stat,oil breather,06 tails,Ruff 278's, 245/40/18-275/35/18,TB bypass,Kooks longtubes(cated),Loudmouth 2,DIY catchcan,Autolite 5144s,06 brake upgrade.Comp cam 224/228,581/588,112+4 lsa. Patriot gold dual springs, seats,locks,and retainers.TrickFlow push rods.243 Z06 heads.GMM Ripshift, Optima Red, Axxis pads.Ported TB,Monster stage 3 clutch,EPP tune.608/569 L8R MAN
    2004-2006 GTO and G8 Tech Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    If it's set up like it was last yr the display only class was shoved out behind the Nutter Center and Most we talked to didn't know it was there, they thought it was swap meet vendor parking. It took us 3 days to realise what it was. Maybe we're a little dense but that's the truth.

I think a 30 mile or so drive that participants in this class could participate in to a prechosen destination for lunch or some other activity would be a great addition to the event. Travel at the pace of the slowest participant, and if there happens to be a problem [god forbid] there's strength in numbers. It'd also be a great way to meet others who drive their cars.

I'm in favor of Road Warriors, It keeps the traditional Pontiac theme and I suggested it!

I see this as a great way to draw members out to participate in class that they don't have to compete against overestored cars with thier street car.

Mike
    Mike, this was done at the 2005 convention, We went on a cruise to a drive in burger joint outside of Spartansburg. The parking lot looked like a car show after we all arrived, some of us got "split up from the rest, due to traffic lights & we got lost, but did manage to find the place. It was "cool" to see all the Poncho's going down the road,may need some more thought to keep them all together.
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

Really appreciate the response to our plans and especially the good ideas submitted.

Jeff's 'Pontiac Street Class', Pete's 'Drove It Here' and Mike's 'Pontiac's Road Warriors' suggestions will make the task of picking a name even more difficult.

Mike's suggestion of a drive with the cars that are entered is obviously a great one. It could end up being the highlight of the convention for those participating.

Frank & Penny

The one in 2005 was our high lite, we took a couple from Austrailia in our 64 2+2 that otherwise wouldn't have been able to go, we still keep in contact after 5 yrs of meeting them!!! Like I said,"seeing all the pontiacs going down the road [at least 50 of us] was SO COOL to see", possibly needed some police support to keep us together at the lights??? Maybe look into this with Charleston PD I have a contact there if you need to speak to them.He's also a car guy, but not Pontiac's, the other orphan in GM - Olds-