Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dec. Smoke Signals

Just got my Dec. S/Signals to day,18th. & after reading Don Okeefe's editorial on bringing out you car to shows, I couldn't agree more, as I have been saying in another topic here on shows, it's not all about having a "top points car" & I hope his message gets across to more people, but, then I read Ron Panzer's article on Battery's [well done] & one caption under picture refers to "possible points" loss if noticed!! I wish the allmighty POINTS would just GO AWAY this is why people don't bring there cars out!!! All they hear about is how high somebodys car scored in the POINTS even though there is a non point section, this [I think] makes them think their cars are not up to show quality. I think the spot light should be on the cars that "drive" to the show or convention & we should try & get this message out to more people that there is a spot for us. Forget the POINTS, get in your car & drive it!!! Rant over!!!!, don't know if mag. was sent out late or I got it on time??? No members anywhere near me to check with???
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

TININDN Guest

Pete:

There's some stuff "in the works" right now for driver cars and the Charleston Convention. For sure, it looks like there will be a limited number of Convention "T" shirts screen printed "I Drove Mine" on the back. Also, some folks are working on other recognition type stuff - a little too early to be specific.

We'll keep everyone posted!

022561 Guest

I like points judged shows because it keeps the politics to a minimum. None of this I've got all my friends votes or I've got all my chapters votes and last but not least, even though the beige car was really ten times better the RED car won because it was RED.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    I go to shows and enjoy them but my car usually sits in the parking lot.. On the way home I sometimes pass some of the show cars, they usually have pulsating brakes (vibrating antenna and mirror while stopping) and on some, I can see the steering wheels shaking from front end issues. It would be interesting if part of the judging would include a test drive... I pass these show cars in line with the rest of traffic in modern high paced fashion..

They do there thing and I do mine.. I respect there side of the hobby and I appreciate it when they respect mine..
    Jeff, good thought on a test drive, but most of the show cars I see are T Q's [trailer Queens] & the owners don't want to "burn" the paint on their engines!!! These cars are sometimes never started,pushed in & out of the trailer, maybe a test drive isn't that bad of an idea, but would be time consuming, so i don't think it would fly!!! but it would get some otherwise "static" cars DRIVEN
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

You know guys Concours is Councours, those cars won't get driven unless someone like me gets a hold of them and that's unlikely. Most owners of concours car aare afraid to drive them due to the investment they put into the car, to build one is an unreal amount of labor. They won't get driven, they should be verified to run tho.

A driver class is just that a driven car. That's where the root of this hobby lies and where the basis for the future lies. If you can't get young people now in them to drive them they'll never have an interest in owning them in the future. Seat time builds future interest, interest now means future owners.

Mike

TININDN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    They won't get driven, they should be verified to run tho. Mike
    From the Official POCI Judging Manual -

C. Driveable All vehicles shall be fully functional and driveable. They must be driven through Classification Verification and Technical Inspection and onto the show field under their own power.

Quote Originally Posted by TININDN View Post
    From the Official POCI Judging Manual -

C. Driveable All vehicles shall be fully functional and driveable. They must be driven through Classification Verification and Technical Inspection and onto the show field under their own power.
    Not to put a "downer" on this but how far is that,200 to 300 feet??? not even enough to "warm" the engine up to temperature? I'm sorry, but this does not sit well with me!!! If I drive my car to the convention 650 miles,to Charleston, how to you "compete" fairly with a T-Q if you decide to go into points judging, haven't got a chance!!! Last convention we were at [2005] I thought about it,but figured it was more "fun" in the non points section, & I was right,met some real down to earth, car people!!!! that weren't into the win at all cost attitude!!!

Dave, I wasn't specifically referring to POCI with that comment. I know some guys that were competing with a Mustang several yrs ago and the engine had no rotating asm in it except for the crank. The same with the trans.

Mike

TININDN Guest

Pete & Mike:

I see your general point, but, not all cars entering Points Judged are "trailer queens", and, in fact, some driven cars actually do quite well in points. Example, if i remember, there was a GTO driven to the Denver Convention from New Mexico, that received the concours award - 400 points! I have a '64 Catalina that is a POCI Points Champion, that I drive to local shows (bias tires), and a '63 Catalina that has won gold (396/400) in points modified that also gets driven just about everywhere - ask Mike or Les. I was a member of the judging team that scored Les Iden's GTO gold modified with its factory original paint.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% behind the "driver movement". But, we're a diverse group, and there always will be "trailer queen" folks in every club.

DAve, I have no problem with a member that gets off on the "wood" they get at shows for polishing paint. I just want them to understand that I enjoy driving mine, and depending on the car,it may never get to the the shiney paint stage because that's not really high on my list of what's important in the big scheme of things. I think there needs to be more recognition of unrestored cars and drivers. I know I'm not the only member with this viewpoint and think that more people with non perfect cars need to participate in the conventions by putting them on the showfield.

If you like trophies that's fine but accept my interests also.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Nixon; December 19th, 2009 at 15:19.