Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Pontiac Police Cars

Hello everyone, a new topic for us all to consider. I was triggered recently to remember a great article a few years ago by our own late John Sawruk:

Click here: Pontiac Taxis - High Performance Pontiac

Does anyone know of other use of Pontiacs as police cars? Sounds like there was a Pontiac connection to NYPD, see photo here:

Click here: Pontiac Police Cars - AACA Forums

It also sounds like around 1977 there was a push on to promote Pontiac police cars (hello Buford T Justice!). I recall the city of Decatur IL bought some Catalinas in 1978 or so, reportedly with 400s and much liked by the officers.

I have also seen photos of 1956-7 Pontiacs in California Highway Patrol colors, they also had a special batch of 1955 Buicks and reportedly they bought Olds and Pontiac both in 1956. For 1957 I am still sketchy.

This could be almost as interesting as the recent series in Smoke Signals about the factory practices. Anybody got anything on these? Thanks,

Todd Crews
    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor

Todd, in the late 70's Ga had some F bodies used as patrol cars also.

Mike

OK, I have a black & white photo in a book of a 1982/3. Has no roof light but full Georgia State Patrol lettering on the door.

I found the article fascinating, as we always see references to police & taxi in the service manuals & parts book, but I have certainly never seen an actual car in person. The Catalina in my other link is VERY cool, sorry the link did not seem to post. Todd C

RE the Enforcer Cars from the 70's.

Rick Lightfoot, Recently added T/A for the 73/7 and Can Am A bodies has an Enforcer that he's restoring. BTJ will ride again it appears.

Mike

Great, if Rick is online I will be anxious to hear it's story and where it came from.

I also recall seeing a photo of a batch of new 1959s for the Pontiac MI police dept. I would assume the city of Pontiac used Pontiacs whenever they were available.

022561 Guest

Please go to pismoderelicts.com and go to the picture gallery for 07 pictures. for the day of 5/19/07 scroll down about half way and you will find a 61 Pontiac 2dr post (batwing) Georga police interceptor. There are TEN pictures of this car siren and all!!! even though it's a Catalina it has Star Chief/ Bonneville rear tail lamps. I don't know the owner, but would sure like to know how this car got to California.

Don

Rick has a pic of his enforcer on this Facebook profile.Here's an easy link if you're a member.

http://www.facebook.com/friends/?ref...00000092899214

Yup, looks just like Buford T Justice's car, he would be a big hit at the Trans Am conventions in Dayton. I sent him a message to join us here in the forum and tell us about his car, thanks,

Todd Crews
    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor

Don, thanks for the tip on the photos of the 1961. The car's window display says this one was originally ordered by the Georgia State Police. Thinking about it, I wonder it with the BOP assembly plant in Atlanta maybe the state chose Pontiacs regularly? Thanks,