Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You bought a '58 Pontiac wagon? Really??? Who'd ever want one of those old heaps of junk? LOL....j/k. Oh wait....I have one myself!

You're gonna love that car Thad! Congrats on a great purchase!!!

Jim

Thanks for all the kind words... I'm really looking forward to getting her on the road. She is a 9 passenger wagon and I really dig the sliding rear windows. Not much in the way of leg room back there, and it's basically a thin pad of foam, but I still think the kids will have fun. Seatbelts are going to be my first priority before I take it out on the open road.

Yep, those are CA plates. It was originally sold in Oregon to a Doctor and then moved to Boron, CA in about 1964 based on the receipts that came with the car. Then it went to Palmdale CA in about 2000. I bought it from the 3rd owner as far as I can tell.
    Current:
    '58 Pontiac Chieftain Safari 9 passenger wagon
    '66 Pontiac Bonneville 9 passenger wagon (421, Tripower, 4 spd)
    Previous:
    '64 Lemans Coupe
    '67 GTO Convertible 4spd
    '67 Lemans Convertible 4spd
    '67 Pontiac Tempest 6 passenger wagon
    '69 Catalina Wagon

3. Default

Nice ride. I've kinda had the inch for a long roof but when I pulled the trigger on one it was the most underpowered Pontiac I ever owned. It was a 81 Lemans with the 3.8 V6. My next one will definitely be a V 8.
    Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by tigercars View Post
    Nice ride. I've kinda had the inch for a long roof but when I pulled the trigger on one it was the most underpowered Pontiac I ever owned. It was a 81 Lemans with the 3.8 V6. My next one will definitely be a V 8.
    Welcome to the forum!
    You should've shoved a 400 in that 81.

022561 Guest

Hey Mike, how could he do that legally???

Don

Maybe by moving to a state with no emissions testing / inspection.

I drove and 81 G/P with a W30 455 Olds in place of the diesel for yrs.

Check your state /provincial laws re it.

Mike

022561 Guest

Due to the fact that most states and the federal gov. seem to go the way of California eventually the reality is " you can run, but you can't hide ".
    This very problem is one of the reasons I feel that the hobby will eventually go away or end up with just the rich. Most people I know won't collect cars 1976 to present because those cars must be emission tested in Ca. forever. These newer cars are the entry $$ level for young people to get into the hobby and when you go to shows here in Ca. there is large absence of anything newer that 1976. I know there are alot of controls on those cars, but in my eye there are alot of cars in that 1976 and newer catagory that I would like to have, but won't because of the government and that is a shame.

Don

To my understanding, and I've not stayed up on it because it doesn't affect me yet, Most states are exempting cars over 25yrs of age from emmissions inspection. At least that's what we were told in a recent training I attended. The way a car is registered also has an impact on inspections.

Mike

022561 Guest

Mike, If you have read my previous post in other threads you will have known that in Ca. the law says that all cars with exhaust controls (1966 to present) must retain all their emission equipment even though the state only emission test 1976 and newer. The state can emission test back if it desires. As I mentioned before I was at a car show last spring and a guy from the state was checking cars to see if their emission equipment was present and when asked by myself he said that if enough data shows that devises have been removed the state might start testing cars back to 1966 again.

Don

Don, I am aware of Cali Law due to my business, I do not keep up on it because I don't live there and as of this point and in the forseeable future, it does not affect myself or most of the US that is not highly populated. As you know by living there the Cali govt seems to hate the classic car hobby. It's an easy target for them to collect fines from, and in a state that has made our news in the not so distant past because it's close to bankrupt money generation is a big thing. To be honest with you I have never seen an emissions spot check east of the Mississippi since the big catalytic converter push in the mid 80's. I do try and stay out of larger cities unless it's absolutely neccesary tho.

I have personally seen a 85 or 86 Grand Prix pass a state issued emissions test [not In] with an injected sbc engine when the car was originally a carb'd Olds engined car and the conversion was never caught by the inspector.

One thing I'm also aware of is that Cali law is a LOT different than most of the rest of the country.In several states safety inspections are not required or only required at the time of sale on cars registered as a Classic.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Nixon; December 16th, 2009 at 16:04.