Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local car shows

Mike, they are becoming the "IN THING" here in Southern Ont. The Thurs. night cruise in Uxbridge,[small town] has 250 + cars on most nights. They come from near & afar.Most of the car people have said they won;t go to a "pay" show anymore. As for a all Pontiac show, I only know of one that was held in Toronto at a Pontiac dealer a few yrs. ago. only had "maybe 10 to 15 Ponchos show up, turned away alot of "brand X" that wanted to come in!!! Pontiacs aren't that popular up here,but, it is starting to grow, & for some reason, the older Pontiacs did not survive here, there are tons of Chevy's & Fords but the Ponchos are scarce, & the American ones like my 64 Cat even less, & the 389 stirs up some discussions at the shows, as everyone expects to see a Small block chevy in there,as that's what the canadian one came with!! Parts are also a problem either Cdn or American especially body parts for the Cdn. ones, as they are shorter in the wheel base & not much available + interior 's are non existant. So it appears that most are going to the cruise's & not the "pay "shows next summer, & as said by someone else, you can come & go when you want to,not stuck there all day
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

So to expand on the comment that tigercars posted earlier in this topic ...

Quote Originally Posted by tigercars View Post
    However I fear that if we do not put on a show there is no need for a local chapter.
    If members of the Pontiac community are losing interest in attending "traditional" local all-day Pontiac-specific show type events and there's no such thing as a Pontiac dealership to sponsor such an event anyway, then what should a local region-based POCI chapter be doing to stay relevant, keep the members they already have and attract new members?
    Mike Klassen - 1995 white Bonneville SSEi

022561 Guest

Mike, as far as Pontiac shows on the Ca. central coast go, there isn't because the people here don't want to have a chapter. If I wanted to go to a Pontiac show I would have to go to the Fresno area for the Pontiac's of Central Ca. chapter at 120 miles away and way too hot!!, or the So. Ca. chapter at 250+ miles away. I am lucky with my Olds though because their Northern Ca. and Southern Ca. chapters meet in Morro Bay to put on the Pacific southwest zone meet every year. It would be great if the Pontiac's of Central Ca. would have a western region show here at the coast. They might get other chapters to join in if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    Pete, I don't know how far you are from Pittsburgh but there's a group of people that drive here every week in the summer from Canada to the Friday night Wexford Starlight cruise..
    Jeff, don't think I'd make that one!!! Takes us around 6 1/2 to 7 hrs to reach Pittsburgh area on our annual trip to West Virginia. We usually have lunch just north of there at a Pizza Hut in Zelienople, just off 79. If the 'ladies" don't go with us, we can "do better time"
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    Hey guys checkout this video.. My eyes keeps going back and forth between the car and the woman...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axWXrihc2Uk
    Jeff, was there a car in that video?????

6. Default Pontiac Shows

Quote Originally Posted by aukc View Post
    So to expand on the comment that tigercars posted earlier in this topic ...

If members of the Pontiac community are losing interest in attending "traditional" local all-day Pontiac-specific show type events and there's no such thing as a Pontiac dealership to sponsor such an event anyway, then what should a local region-based POCI chapter be doing to stay relevant, keep the members they already have and attract new members?
    I wouldn't say the Pontiac community is losing interest, it's just harder to find all Pontiac events due to the rising costs involved. Most of our local members don't have what would be considered all out show car so they choose not to get involved in most of the local car shows you have to pay to enter. But when we do our show or the neighboring chapters, for the most part, more of our members are willing to go for support and the involvement with other Pontiac owners.

Larry Crider
    RT 66 Oklahoma
    POCI Director
    Southern Division

Quote Originally Posted by 48Woodie View Post
    I wouldn't say the Pontiac community is losing interest, it's just harder to find all Pontiac events due to the rising costs involved. Most of our local members don't have what would be considered all out show car so they choose not to get involved in most of the local car shows you have to pay to enter. But when we do our show or the neighboring chapters, for the most part, more of our members are willing to go for support and the involvement with other Pontiac owners.
    And right there's the attitude that we need to change. A car shouldn't have to be PERFECT to be entered in a show. If it runs and is safe / roadworthy it should be welcomed at events. This will encourage otheres with "in process" cars to attend and will grow numbers. If you drive it bring it, you just may be surprised at the feedback you get on it.

Mike

TININDN Guest

Here in the Twin Cities we have two very big events each year - Back to the 50's. '64 and older, that draws close to 12,000 cars - an event that is held at the Minnesota State Fair Grounds, and, Car Craft Summer Nationals, drawing about 5,000 entries, also held at the fair grounds. These events are very similar to the Good Guys type events. We also have "branded" shows like the Buick Show, the all GM Show, Mopars in the Park, etc. that remain popular. The Buick Show does quite well because it is the first "big" show of the season, first weekend in May, but I've actually been to it when it was snowing. Several local communities also have weekly cruse-ins (Friday and Saturday evenings), where you can come and go as you please, with local side-walk food vendors, etc., with the objective, I think, of bringing some money into the local community. These events, are by far, the most popular.

The local cars shows are far too numerous to count, and seem to be dwindling in overall attendance. At the same time, some of the week day cruise-ins, at local drive-in restaurants, seem to be gaining popularity. Our two local Pontiac shows are hosted by our local POCI Tomahawk Chapter at GM dealerships, and are free, with free food, bring canned goods for food shelves, get a free barbecue. These two events have been expanded in recent years to include more GM brands. Attendance runs about 50 to 100 cars, somewhat weather dependent, and dependent upon how hard we promote the events. There is something to be said for actually taking the time to go out and find Pontiac owners at other shows, introducing yourself, shaking hands and showing a genuine interest in their cars, in order to recruit them to your show and local chapter.

The other events that seem to be gaining popularity are the "rat rod" and "vintage motorcycle" themes, maybe because they are new and different.

9. Default Attitude Change

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    And right there's the attitude that we need to change. A car shouldn't have to be PERFECT to be entered in a show. If it runs and is safe / roadworthy it should be welcomed at events. This will encourage otheres with "in process" cars to attend and will grow numbers. If you drive it bring it, you just may be surprised at the feedback you get on it.

Mike
    I agree Mike. I personally love seeing vehicles going through their stages as their being built. Maybe we should put on a "In progress car show", centrally located in US. Limitation of finished product is a requirement.

Larry Crider
    RT 66 Oklahoma
    POCI Director
    Southern Division

Quote Originally Posted by aukc View Post
    If members of the Pontiac community are losing interest in attending "traditional" local all-day Pontiac-specific show type events ...
    I think "losing interest" was a poor choice of words on my part, sorry about that, maybe a better way to phase it would be - If there is a trend that members of the Pontiac community are finding a traditional local all-day Pontiac-specific show type event not as appealing as the alternatives like cruise-ins, which are cheaper (ie. free), more relaxed (come and go as you please, no voting or judging) and open to all makes (more and greater variety of people and vehicles) ...
    Mike Klassen - 1995 white Bonneville SSEi