Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local car shows

Hey Mike, Our local Pontiac Buick dealer tried the all GM cars & trucks only, on their 1st attempt to have a show. Didn't work out too well, as the car groups here have many friends that drive brand X Y Z etc. so if they couldn't go, the GM guys & girls wouldn't either!! This yr. [2nd. annual] they opened it to all brands, 1980 & down, was a total success!!! almost too many cars for the size of the dealership. On the insurance issue I brought up, I only think of this from prior experience of organising our own shows for so many yrs. [32] & the hassle & cost, it became to even get the ins. but we couldn't get the park rented until "proof" of Ins. My club would start work on the next yrs. show, the 1st. meeting after the show was over,most people attending these shows have no idea what preparation is involved to put one of these events on, when we started ours,it was a 2 day event, with cars showing up Fri. night, then cut back to a Sun. only. We also had to cancel our
    "games" [tug of war,ski race.valve toss,belt toss etc.] as Ins. wouldn't cover it,or be issued if we kept the games. That took the fun out of the show as the folks "loved" the games & different clubs challenged each other. When the costs got so high we couldn't cover it any more, we "threw in the towel" & when word got out the show was no more, our members got calls from all different clubs, wondering WHY it was cancelled. If we had raised the gate fee from $10 to $15 we "may" have made it, but our members thought that was "over the top" so we put it to bed. I still wonder if these cruise's have Ins. if someone falls, or is "bumped" by a car while not looking where they are walking [one of my peeves, they have no idea a car may be right behind them,or move out of the line at any time] the promoters will find their A%$SS in a sling, we hope this never happens, BUT!!!! pete
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

2. Default

Some of the posts here mirror the situation in Birmingham. We have the cruise-in scene here but they get bounced around by the malls with some wanting the extra traffic and some not because of the liability.
    My clubs own car show which has been going on for 23 years is kind of at a crossroads. When we started there were not many completing shows but now the churches and high schools think it a money maker so there is something going on practically every weekend. We never had a dealer sponsor so we havn't lost anything there. The biggest down side of a show is being tied up all day and in the summer down here it's just too damm hot.
    However I fear that if we do not put on a show there is no need for a local chapter.

022561 Guest

Dear Tigercars, What you guys need is a place to go where the owner ( in our case Cider Creek bakery or the guy who owns the doughnut shop in Pismo beach) is a car guy too! Some of the clubs that I know in So. Ca. and here in Central Ca., just pick a park or a winery and show up. The local AACA has a monthly destination for a luncheon or a picnic. One of the things that I really like about the early morning thing is that the people who come are CAR people and not a bunch of people who think it's nice to leave fingerprints from their kids all over your car or their dog decided to splash your wheels. I also think it's time the people who view the cars pay for the deal, after all they are the ones that have been getting the free show. Can you imagine a singer paying to sing at a concert. These car shows have it ass backwards. If your going to charge people to get in I would think these people that pay would be car people who respect someones property. All this hassle brings me back to why the original Huntington Beach doughnut derelicts was started and why Pismo Beach derelicts and hundreds of others have sprung up. It's just cars and car people without the overhead and hassles.

Don

4. Default

We have the same scene here the first Saturday of every month. The local Krispy Kreme will give you a free coffee and doughnut from 9:00 AM till noon if you bring an old car. Another club got in on the ground floor a few years ago and is growing by leaps and bounds.
    I need to find another location and get a Pontiac cruise-in started.

Just my own personal opinion regarding the "type" of car event that I am willing to go to the effort to enter my car in...

Since I started entering events 3 years ago, it has always been and continues to be my preference to enter a Pontiac exclusive event (which might also include GMC). As a Pontiac owner and Pontiac club member, I'm just plain more interested in other Pontiacs than the other brands so that's what I want to see in the events I go to is as many Pontiacs as possible. Also, I think that other Pontiac owners and the spectators that come out to a Pontiac specific event are more likely to appreciate my car and will have at least some background knowledge about my car so my car will be more interesting to them. Last thing you want is to have your car in an event and no-one is interested in looking at it or asking questions about it, right?

My next preference is a GM exclusive event. For same reasons as above, it's just more likely there will be more Pontiacs at a GM exclusive event than at a wide-open event, and the other owners/spectators are there because they are interested in GM products so likely my car will get more interest/questions than at a wide-open event.

If a Pontiac specific event is not viable, then I think a GM specific event is the "next best". I think a Pontiac specific club or chapter can still be relevant and have a role to play in such an event, but would need to team up with local clubs that represent the other (preferably the ones that still exist) GM brands. Then I think you have something a GM dealer is more likely to support.
    Mike Klassen - 1995 white Bonneville SSEi

Quote Originally Posted by aukc View Post
    Just my own personal opinion regarding the "type" of car event that I am willing to go to the effort to enter my car in...

Since I started entering events 3 years ago, it has always been and continues to be my preference to enter a Pontiac exclusive event (which might also include GMC). As a Pontiac owner and Pontiac club member, I'm just plain more interested in other Pontiacs than the other brands so that's what I want to see in the events I go to is as many Pontiacs as possible. Also, I think that other Pontiac owners and the spectators that come out to a Pontiac specific event are more likely to appreciate my car and will have at least some background knowledge about my car so my car will be more interesting to them. Last thing you want is to have your car in an event and no-one is interested in looking at it or asking questions about it, right?

My next preference is a GM exclusive event. For same reasons as above, it's just more likely there will be more Pontiacs at a GM exclusive event than at a wide-open event, and the other owners/spectators are there because they are interested in GM products so likely my car will get more interest/questions than at a wide-open event.

If a Pontiac specific event is not viable, then I think a GM specific event is the "next best". I think a Pontiac specific club or chapter can still be relevant and have a role to play in such an event, but would need to team up with local clubs that represent the other (preferably the ones that still exist) GM brands. Then I think you have something a GM dealer is more likely to support.
    I take it you sit with your car at these events?
    We don't, in fact you'll be damned lucky to find us near our car unless someone's hungry.We're always out looking at other's exhibits. We prefer all Pontiac events and usually have travel for them as I'm one of the few in this immediate area with them. Normally we enter my driver in one or two shows a year, normally National events. We attend a few local shows but haven't entered in any of them, the closest one we've parti****ted in is a couple hours away in Batesville, There's a STRONG Pontiac following in that town thanks to Doug Puelskamp and his uncle Paul Freese.

My next choice of event is B.O.P. Or vintage trucks. Occaisionally I do a Mopar or Ford Lincoln Mercury show. I see enough Chevies locally to have my fill of them unless it's odd or exceptional. Old tractors turn my crank also so that's probably number 3.

You'll also find that I like "Odd Cars" I own a couple GTO's but am thinking about selling one of them and prefer big cars currently. Grand Prixs are my Pontiac of choice and I'll drive one of them before a GTO or Bird any day of the week.I spend more time looking over base cars than loaded high end models, wagons over Judges.

We do events for the people and the cars are a bonus. We've made some damned good freinds because of this lifestyle. Most of them we see at the events we attend a couple times a yr.

In all honesty I buy these cars to drive not to show. That's the part of the hobby I really enjoy.

Mike

022561 Guest

I guess the thing I like most about these saturday mornings is the people. If I had stuck with Pontiac or Olds people here on the central Ca. coast I would only know a few people. What I like about the people is that they are interested in EVERYTHING and I don't care if it's a Datsun 240Z or a Auburn or a VW beetle to a V-16 Cad, we've got everything. The German, Japanese, British, and all kinds of American iron from the Classics to muscle to mom's runabout ALL have a place. The other thing that I like is that it seems like 1/2 of the guys are from Southern Ca. and decided to retire here like I did. Another thing that I like is that most of the people build/paint,restore, maintain their cars themselves and so they speak my language. Before all this bakery/doughnut thing happened it was limited to about 4-5 shows a year and now I look forward to every weekend and a whole bunch of new friends.

Don

Thumbs up

Don, I agree with you 100% on the people that make the show. My wife & I have met some great people at these mixed Car Shows & local Cruise In's. Most of them take a interest in all cars, which makes it easy to start a conversation. There are only a "few" that are "vocal" who prefer the restored to original but this does present problems when you strike up a conversation about their car & they find out you drive a "modified" you get called a few "nasty" names!! As for staying with car, I'm gone as soon as possible to see what's there & talk to the people," It's a social event" I'll come back every so often, & someone or my wife [if there] will say somebody was asking about the Catalina,I'll wait abit then off again, I have seen some stand there all day or all evening dusting & cleaning, & never leave their car,& they don't look at the others, It's "all about them" I've also had them "throw" lawn chairs at our old show, when they didn't "win" a trophy!!! BOY is that the attitude to have at a show, I thought the whole idea was to have fun & meet new friends, & most of all, the ride to the show & back, with people giving the "THUMBS UP' as you go by, that's worth more than any trophy!!
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

022561 Guest

Boy oh boy Pete, That is a big X2 for me about what you just said! Most of the time at these shows and get togethers I find that alot of people are interested in the cars I have because they don't see them anymore and so they are always asking questions and want to know about them. Sometimes you can convince them to get a Pontiac and even to join POCI. One morning I had two guys (one on either side of me), one in a 928 Porsche and the other side a restored 66 VW Type 113 U.S. export beetle. The three of us were talking about our particular brands so I showed them the link up of how our brands intertwined. First the beetle with the central backbone chassis/semi uni-body construction, then the early Pontiac Tempest (61-63) with the central backbone tube and semi unit body with engine in front and transaxel in rear (which these guys never knew happened) and the Porsche 924/928/944 which has the same basic layout design as the Tempest. These guys will never look at a Pontiac in the same way again.
    Or the Chevy guys that didn't know a Pontiac engineer designed the independent ball/rocker arm in 1948. Or that the newest version of of the GM corporate engines has reverse flow (gusher type) cooling like the original Pontiac V-8 was designed with (1955-1959).
    They teach me about their car and I teach them about mine. I like the diversity of it all, but I must admit I like the brands that I collect the best, but that is just a natural phenomenon of human nature.

Don

Not sure I'm reading the tone of these messages right, but what I think I'm hearing is the free, weekly, wide-open cruise-ins are the way to go.

If so, then is there still a future for local Pontiac-specific events?
    Mike Klassen - 1995 white Bonneville SSEi