Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next cut

Default Next cut

Well gang, I moved forward, [ with the help of garage girl friend & a few beers ] & cut the next panel out & fitted new panel!!! It's getting there, will post more as it goes along, still have to do inner whl. wells etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes I wake up grumpy. But today I let her sleep in!!!

2. Cool Body Work

Pete
    I never could understand people not joining the club because they stated their car wasn't show worthy yet. I personally enjoy looking at the build of owners cars and greatly appreciate you sharing the photos of your progress. As far as your garage girlfriend she looks to have a bit of a stiff attitude. hehehe

Larry Crider
    RT 66 Oklahoma
    POCI Director
    Southern Division

Quote Originally Posted by 48Woodie View Post
    Pete
    I never could understand people not joining the club because they stated their car wasn't show worthy yet. I personally enjoy looking at the build of owners cars and greatly appreciate you sharing the photos of your progress. As far as your garage girlfriend she looks to have a bit of a stiff attitude. hehehe
    Thanks Larry, this what you have to start with when dealing with a Canadian Pontiac. 57 yrs of salt takes it toll, but it's not as bad as others I have seen here. I hope others see what we go thru, not just opening your wallet, & "call me when it"s done" I think this shows what the "real" car guys go through to have a drivable old car at the local shows & cruise ins. I must admit, the 64 Catalina from South Carolina was far easyier than this one. Pete

Default the early days

At one time, that was what this club was all about--HELP!! It was considered gosch to tell someone that there was something wrong with his car, unless specifically asked, or you had the parts and tools in hand to do something about it. When traveling, you carried the Roster with you. If you had a breakdown, you called someone who looked to be local to your problem.
    They either came and got you, or found someone who could.

Yes, I remember taking the roster with me on trips. I think that's long gone, but if we stay together here in the forum, maybe, just maybe, that old spirit of helping out will come back, & not the "just all about me" attitude. I've allready had a offer to help me on getting some thing delivered, so that's a step in the right direction

well gang, finally got back at the 52 after having the flue & cold, as well as a day as out patient at hospital for day surgery. I made up some pans to cover body mounts where it is sitting on 84 chassis, then fitted one of the floor pans I got on "road trip" to Indiana. I will start on the right side later this week & the plan is to "work my way forward" Slow process cutting & fitting, welding etc. Thought I might be "in over my head" here, but it's coming. will seal the seams when done, then it's on to the outside. I will be glad when this is done as I enjoy the mechanical part, but the body work, I've never done this before, much prefer to do an engine rebuild, tranny, or brakes, OH well, guess it's good to "try" something new!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

A hint and if that bolt's temporary so be it. But a carraige bolt with an internal torx head would be less noticable under the Mat /Carpet/ Floor covering.

The mount areas are the part I'm not a huge fan of, The rest of it's not bad.

Mike

Mike, that's under the back seat, bolt is at least 5" long for body mount. Not designed by me, previous owner did the body to new new chassis, so it won't be a factor for carpet etc, you'll never see it!!!! I don't have a metal stretcher,or shrinker,no english wheel or metal brake, so I'm doing the best I can, fabricating pieces, with what I,ve got. This is not a "point car", will be a "Rat" gasser for street, in "flat black" I thought ,for no expierence in doing this ,it turn out better than I thought it would.
    Last edited by Dualquadpete; January 25th, 2010 at 07:11.

Pete, I wasn't criticizing, just offereng advice. If that's a single layer of metal you may want to use a lerge diameter washer under the bolt head o help prevent stress fractures or the bolt pulling thru wiht frame flex.

That's the type of project to learn on, one you don't expect to be perfect when done.

Did the P/O sit the whole body on the frame or clipe the ends? Just curious.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    Pete, I wasn't criticizing, just offereng advice. If that's a single layer of metal you may want to use a lerge diameter washer under the bolt head o help prevent stress fractures or the bolt pulling thru wiht frame flex.

That's the type of project to learn on, one you don't expect to be perfect when done.

Did the P/O sit the whole body on the frame or clipe the ends? Just curious.

Mike
    It's a complete 84 Olds Cutlass chassis, shortened to fit the 52,but P/O had to move the frt. whl. well [arches] ahead to look right & centre wheel in opening, as the engine is in correct spot pertaining to firewall. I don't think body will move on chassis as there are 6 other mounts holding it on there& that bolt goes through a square tubing thats quite thick!! Sorry, thought you were saying it wasn't PERFECT, body work is not my "fortay" but im learning some, think I"ll get some outside help when it comes to the rockers & 1/4 panel patches that I started. Can't wait till I get to the mechanical, still "pondering" putting a Pontiac engine in instead of chevy, but the cost up here for a US Pontiac engine is 3 times what I can do a sbc rebuild,[found that out when I did the 64 Catalina engine] & being CDN it would have had a chevy 6 banger in it anyway. The sbc 305 fits in there like it was made for it!!!
    Last edited by Dualquadpete; January 25th, 2010 at 14:13.