Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
  1. Default 81 Grand Lemans Safari Wagon

I'm filling in the blank here. On Memoral Day the wife and I drove 100 miles to save a Pontiac from the crusher. For the sum of $300 I bought a 81 Grand Lemans Safari wagon with a parts bill of sale. I put a quart of oil in the little V6 and smoked all the way back home. I had planned to make a rat rod out of it as the body is in pretty good shape. However I put a half a bottle of Marvel Mystrey Oil in the crank case and poured the rest in the gas. I've never seen an engine smoke any more than it does now. Guess I'll have to drive it on down to the crusher when I score another Pontiac and need the parking ****e.

TININDN Guest

Is that why they call it "Mystery" oil?

3. Default

I know guys that swear by the stuff. I've tried it a couple of times on hopeless problems like struck valves and in this case excessive oil consumption. It's never worked for me.
    The rat rod is safe for now. I sold it to a buddy who is into oddball rides like studebaker wagons and stuff. He will give it a good home.

Darling Downs region, Queensland, Australia

I'm not familiar with the Mystery Oil product or it's instructions, but I would think putting an oily product into the fuel would make even a healthy motor smoke. I've had some success with a product called ProMa MBL-8, added to the oil only, in an older worn motor. Doesn't work intsantly, takes probably a couple of hundred miles before it starts to bed into the motor and take better effect, but I eventually noticed oil consumption and smoking reduced by at least half or much more, in a motor that would normally just get even more worn and tired. I've used it enough to find that it's a highly effective friction and wear reducer and used it to prolong the life of still-healthy but well used motors.