Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I posted a question on here Oct.30th. under "how"come" so far not one answer!!!!! What gives??? As I said in a earlyer post elswhere, on the Canadian Poncho site, ask a question & get 20+ replies in one hour, somethings wrong here, are the members not on line?? Go onto Ammes Classic pontiac & their Q&A section is full of information!!! A dissapointed member Pete

TININDN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    forums?

Is there a good reason why this board is so hidden?
    Jeff -

Take a look at the home page - does that make it more visible?

Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by 050843 View Post
    I posted a question on here Oct.30th. under "how"come" so far not one answer!!!!! What gives??? As I said in a earlyer post elswhere, on the Canadian Poncho site, ask a question & get 20+ replies in one hour, somethings wrong here, are the members not on line?? Go onto Ammes Classic pontiac & their Q&A section is full of information!!! A dissapointed member Pete

Where's your question? Give me a link. Did you not look under the Tech advisor's listing for your particular car? That's their job is to provide info to members with questions. The site is relatively new and is a work in progress.

If the tech advisor doesn't respond contact me and I'll address that.

The other sites you've mentioned have been in operation how long? This one's been up approximately a year. The biggest challenge is getting members in the habit of coming here. It takes time for that to happen and current active member's word of mouth encouraging people to visit. Complaining will not improve the site but encouraging Other POCI members to parti****te will.

Mike Nixon
    POCI Tech Advisors Coordinator.
    Last edited by Mike Nixon; November 8th, 2009 at 09:56.

Mike,

Don't get me wrong, I want this forum to succeed, but look at this from our perspective. As a newbie I have posted 24 times and have answered about 10 posts. I am active in about 5 other forums ( I own 7 cars) yet I still find time to post on here.

People like me expect to tap into the experience of guys like you that know more about Pontiacs than I can learn in a lifetime. The problem is, why are the new guys like me active but the experienced ones are never answering us?

I looked at the roster on my Smoke Signals and not only is it huge, it has tons of guys who are 10 year+ members? Why are they not active on this forum? Guys like me will not keep people coming to the site, they want more people like you.

As for the a timeframe, a year is plenty of time to get active. I started on the Dodge Nitro forum when it was 6 months old or less and I would get 10-20 replies to my posts within a day or so. The Nitro is modern but an obscure vehicle compared to all Pontiacs and GMC's covered by this site. What we do have on the Nitro Forum is a passion for the Forum itself along with our cars. We also have a free forum and a decent set of sponsors.

I have a deposit on my old '50's Pontiac and even without the pink slip, I have an urge to look at this forum nearly daily. I work 12-16 hour days yet I find the time to visit here. If I had a Pontiac for 10 years I'd be on here a couple of hours a week or more.

IMO, If we don't get more traffic in the next 6 months, we should make this an open forum. What sponsor would want to advertise on a forum that shows no new posts for days at time--- yes it is that bad I have been checking.

Hope alone will not make this Forum a success. I don't know any other answer beyond making it public, but whatever we have been doing lately is not working.

Ken

Ken, I'm on here daily, With your fastback it's earlier than what I know. I'm pushing to have the forums the go to place for the members to contact tech advisors. Changing people's habits is another story, It's a difficult thing to do.

Spreading the word from member to member is one of the easiest /cheapest/ most effective way to gain forum traffic.

Mike

Mike,

I'll do my best to spread the word, but I just don't know many members.

Every little bit helps.

I also try to answer tech questions on any car if I think I can help as I have some general auto experience.

Electrical issues are my specialty, but I have to admit, that I have not worked on a car with a generator for many years.

Ken that's what will help this forum grow. I've moderated on another Forum for over 10yrs. In that time it's grown from this size to over 30k members and growing. The membership is what makes a forums succede. If people talk positivley about it more will come. It should be a continuous thing. It doesn't happen overnight and it's going to take a while to change older members habits.We're working on it.

Mike

Mike,

One thing we did on the Nitro forum was to appoint Member Relations Managers -- I was one for a year or so. Our job is to welcome new members and stir up conversations. Somtimes just a comment on a post keeps things going even if you can't answer a specific question.

Our member relations managers were identified just as you are tagged as a super moderator. Unlike a moderator, the MRM's can't change the website, block postings etc.

We also have a contest where others on the forum vote you as Nitro of the Month winner. Once you win once, you keep the title in your avatar forever.

I also notice that this forum SW does not have the ability to display rep ooints or give them. Is this turned off or do we have to pay extra for that?

I would guess it's turned off. On the other Site I mod on the Rep points ended up causing problems with members sabatoging other member's reputation. That may not be an issue here as this forum has a different "personality" than the other one.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Nixon; November 10th, 2009 at 21:42.

I would think a closed forum should be fine, but even on an open forum, you can give rep points, but you can't take them away from another member, unless you set up something different.

There is also a useful function on this SW that other forums sometimes use which is "unanswered threads" they have this on the Jeep forum and it would be particularly useful for a forum trying to pick up speed like ours.

Ken