Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Newbie poster.........

Hi everyone, newbie poster here, and also a newly elected POCI Freshman Director from the Western Division. I have been spending most of my time over on the PY Forums, where I am known as "wheelspin" .

I plan to contributute to this Forum, make some new Pontiac friends, and learn from it's members.

Les
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Les Iden; May 23rd, 2009 at 14:31.

Default Welcome

Welcome Les. You have some NICE Pontiacs. Yowza!
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN
    Southern Division Director
    1961 Ventura 2-door kustom

022561 Guest

Hi Les, or newbie, or wheelspin.
    What is PY? Anyway how are you? I haven't seen you in about four years. I retired from Nissan and moved to the central coast and have not been down to So. Cal. except to see family and sometimes Heinrich. What did you think of my letter to the POCI Mailroom??(not a fan of rods & customs) It's not that I'm not in favor of them, I just think they don't represent Pontiac. I also didn't like to hear that late 50's early 60's were desirable for customizers. Those cars are hard enough to find to restore as it is so making the competition to find them even harder. Please let all of us know what you think. I see for the last couple of months now the backside of Smoke Signals has full page ad for KOOLHOUSE Publishing so could the the advertising money that goes to POCI be part of this drive???
    Please let us know what you think.

Don Helfenstein

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard Les, you have found the "true" Pontiac enthusiast web site. I think PY gets more traffic because of its open door policy (as in no club or dues). Don, not to hijack this thread, but I think some mods and rods are good for POCI. Some of these cars are beyond correct restoration and why not have fun and build some true Americana out of what's left. Now don't get me wrong, if I see a bunch of rat motor Poncho's appearing in the pages each week then there's a problem, but if it promotes and builds club membership then why not. Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve Naresky
    Last edited by GpFreak; May 23rd, 2009 at 19:28.

Les,It's about time you showed up here, especially since you're an "Official " now.

MIke

Cool Neat Pontiac Forum..........

Thanks for the welcome gents. Looks like a good place to spend some quality Pontiac time .

Alan,

Thanks for the comps, and you have one of my favorite Pontiacs: 61 Ventura, how about some pics?

Hey Don,

Has it really been 4 years since we used to stumble around in the dark @ Donut Derelicts looking @ cars @ 5am on a Saturday morning ? How's retirement on the beautiful CA coast? Everything is good here in SoCal: drag racing the GTO, track days @ Willow Springs in the TA, and touring the USA in the GP (driving it to Dayton in July for the POCI CoVention).

I read your letter: I too, dislike seeing a non-Pontiac power plant in a Pontiac, and cannot understand why anyone would want to install "circus wagon" wheels on ANY car. That being said, I believe that there is room in our small niche of the car hobby for each member's individual "take" on THEIR car. I am a resto-mod guy; comfortable w/ adding modern suspension, brakes, tires, and creature comforts to my cars, while retaining the almost stock outward classic appearance, as they were built. My GP & GTO were # matching cars when I purchased them, so I pulled the original d/trains, saving them for restoration purposes, and then built new motors & trans for my purposes w/ all of my mods being reversible. Rather than abuse a rare 72 TA on the race track, I fashioned my clone from a base model 350/350 Firebird, saving a lot of $$ in the process.

I enjoy attending the annual Moon Xmas party and the Hot Reunion @ Famosa w/ the primered hand built rods, rock-a-billy music, and the young hot rodders w/ their families enjoying this unique lifestyle. These young folks remind me of my early days in the car hobby: married w/ 3 little kids, mortgage, 2 car payments, and trying to squeeze a few bucks out of my paycheck to spend on our family's well-used 61 Bonneville wagon to improve it's performance or appearance .

Hey Mike,

Time to get together in Dayton, buddy .

Les
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Les Iden; May 24th, 2009 at 11:50.
    1966 GTO Sport Coupe
    1968 Grand Prix
    1972 Trans Am clone

Quote Originally Posted by Les Iden View Post
    Hey Mike,

Time to get together in Dayton, buddy .

Les
    Dayton's on Les, Jen FINALLY sent in the registration last week.

I actually ordered the pieces to complete the interior from my other 65 Grand Prix and am going to install it in the white car until I get the blue one roadworthy. Now, If they get here in time we'll be set.If not it'll look ok except for the headliner and the front seats.........

I'm looking forward to seeing you again,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Nixon; May 24th, 2009 at 15:55.

Default Here's a pic

Here's a photo, Les. Don't look, Don.
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN
    Southern Division Director
    1961 Ventura 2-door kustom

Cool Awesome "Kulture" Custom...........

Hey Alan,

I remember your far out bubble top from the Feb. 09 Smokes. A well-deserved cover car pictorial of a car from the very group that I mentioned above. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the shapely Venturas as "survivors", resto-modded, or restored to factory stock, but I appreciate the vision and workmanship required to fashion such a fine example of cars that represent "The Kulture".

Les
    1966 GTO Sport Coupe
    1968 Grand Prix
    1972 Trans Am clone

022561 Guest

Les, I agree that there is a bunch of work in that car. However, I believe if you are going to make a car over to fit your ego (body-paint) get yourself or build yourself a rolling chassis and make your own body. I believe the body of the car belongs to the person or persons that created it. And I consider car bodies rolling art. So I have to ask you all; If you bought a Dutch Masters painting would you clean the canvas and start over? or add or subtract the contents of the painting? If you really have that itch to create don't go 1/2 way. This then is where real creativity begins.
    Back to Don, retirement is really fine. I was going to retire in 2011 but as you know my company decided it didn't like Ca. taxes ect. anymore and moved to Tenn. Fortunately for me I had enough years and points to pull it off. This moved my timetable around somewhat because I was in the beginning of a restoration on my 62 Catalina. I had finished the chassis (you will love this) Eibach springs-1" roll bars ft & rear- 71- B body tall spindles and disc for negative roll steering- 9C1 Police Nova variable high effort steering box-Koni's all way around and plastic bushings on the lower control arms in front and also on the 4 link rear end. The car was put on hold and we moved to our retirement home on the central coast and started a full blown house renovation. I have the master bedroom and bath left to do and a little outside work and then I will be ready to start back on the Pontiac. So tell me about your time at Willow Springs. Too bad we didn't run into each other as you know my 69 LeMans is built for that sort of thing. Have you run Butten Willow?? That place is closer to me. The LeMans really likes that sort of thing (suspension wise) but the 455 has a hard time trying to stay cool. At 130 the suspension says more more more and the engine says slow down and let me cool off. I hope the Catalina will be better with my shorter stroke 428.
    How was the fudruckers show??? Anyway let me know what you think of my Dutch Masters theory.

Don