Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fate of Pontiac

022561 Guest

As I said previously "CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN".
    I can really relate to the song Allen Jackson sings, " Everything I love is killing Me".
    One of the cars I collect ( Which was designed in 1936 and perfected for years & years) gets 42MPG and that is still not good enough for the greenies. If we don't stand up to them they will have their version of Utopia and our grand kids will be little robots for a while. Thing is-there is something coming that even they will not be able to control.

Don

2. Default

The heart and soul of Pontiac died in 1981 with the last V-8. It has simply been a name plate since. I am not sorry to see it go but, I am sorry for those losing thie jobs.
    The People at Pontiac & GM screwed the loyal Pontiac following that Knudson/Estes/De Lorean built up. Because of that, they lost me as a customer for a new car. In the meantime, I've collected one of the largest, if not the largest, collection of Real vintage Pontiacs on the planet. Enough to last far beyond my lifetime. I've also saved several hundred from being crushed into oblivion.

I'm doing what I can to preserve that great era when a Pontiac was a Real Pontiac and you were proud to be a Pontiac man.

"Real Pontiacs only...No corporate nonsense!"
    Steve Barcak
    POCI member 30 years
    www.pontiacheaven.org
    450+ Pontiacs in Arizona
    "Real Pontiacs only...no corporate nonsense!"

'60 389 powered Top Fuel dragster- 6.77@200mph so far
    Blown M/T HEMI Pontiac in Hondo V-drive flat bottom
    Blown/injected '65 Tempest altered wheelbase funny car
    '72 GTO 455HO WW5, 700r4- primary driver 170,000 on motor since built 2000
    '61 Catalina Safari
    '61 & '62 Catalina 2drs

Too much more to list
    Pontiac Heaven museum in process-info on website

3. Default POCI member on Fox News Forum - GM Rest in Peace

The official GM web site on their restructuring http://www.gmreinvention.com/
    Mike Klassen - 1995 white Bonneville SSEi

Quote Originally Posted by aukc View Post
    The official GM web site on their restructuring http://www.gmreinvention.com/
    Don't you mean the restructuring of the so******t motor company?

6. Default

Pontiac: The End of the Line

Lead times are a weird kind of thing in the magazine world that most people on the outside have a tough time understanding. Even though it is early June as you read this, I am writing this in April. It was announced this morning that Pontiac is being dropped as a GM Division. After 83 years, this history-making Division is joining Olds, LaSalle, Marquette. Viking and Oakland as former marques that have faded into the annals of history. According to GM officials, the Division will close by the end of the 2010 model year. More brands are sure to follow, perhaps by the time that you read this.

Obviously, it is no surprise, as this once proud nameplate has been dealt blow after blow, from the inter-divisional bullying from Chevrolet, to the badge-engineered blandness of the 1980s to multiple layers of misguided management who at various times, made crucial mistakes because they didn't understand what Pontiac really was and how its performance-oriented image fit in the market. Don't even get me started on the loss of the Pontiac V-8.

Like many of you, I wished that I could have shown Pontiac how to reach into its proud heritage and help management formulate a strategy to turn things around. Over the years, I proposed programs to educate management on Pontiac’s history and even devised a proposal to help turn around the bad press on the 2004 GTO. That program had a lot of promise and made it all the way to Bob Lutz's desk- before it was rejected.
    For me, the appeal of Pontiac was the rebellious underdog image- a bunch of guys putting out the hottest cars they could with the deck stacked against them on a Corporate level. When Bunkie Knudsen took over as General Manager in 1956, he literally put his career on the line. He took a failing Division and gave it a new and exciting persona, one that stressed performance and attractive styling at a value-packed price.

That message rang true with an entire generation of performance fans and under the guiding hands of his successors Pete Estes and John DeLorean, Pontiac continued to thrive and make good on its promise of affordable performance, retaining their Number 3 standing in the market throughout the 1960s.

The very fact that Pontiac engineers, designers and marketers were up against the odds made them work that much harder. In some cases their efforts resulted in the satisfaction of stuffing it to Chevy, Ford and anyone else who got in their way. They looked for loopholes and leaped through them with style and panache. Remember the story of the '64 GTO? They got away with it because they were able to prove their business case- six times better than they predicted.

And what about those great cars, the ones that shamelessly slapped the competition around on the racetrack and on the street? Remember Super Duty Sunday, that weekend in 1960 that Pontiac won every motorsport event that they entered a car in? How about the Nichels and Goldsmith '63 Super Duty LeMans that won the Daytona 250 Challenge Cup by a distance of over six miles? How about the Pontiac rebels led by Special Projects Engineer Herb Adams, who told GM brass that if they wanted to race on weekends, that was their own damn business and competitively raced a seven year-old LeMans in SCCA Trans Am competition despite GM's Ban on Racing?

How about the privateer drag racers in the 1970 and '80s like Jack Mullins, Rock Running and Gary Wood, who raced Pontiacs when there wasn't any factory backing whatsoever? What about Arnie “The Farmer” Beswick, who has been racing Pontiacs for over FIFTY years? How many car makers can boast that the guy they gave a factory race deal to in 1958 is STILL representing them? What other nameplate has inspired this level of devotion?

Unfortunately, this sort of message is lost on most everyone involved with the decision to pull the plug on Pontiac. General Motors was forced by the Obama Administration to demonstrate that they were serious about turning things around- perception being so much more important than reality. In doing so, some sacrificial lambs had to be offered up to get the support GM needed to survive. One of them was Rick Wagoner's head on a platter, the other was the dropping of Divisions that didn't fit the new GM's Green Future.
    What does all of this mean for us as a club? Well, as the largest Pontiac-oriented club it is our misssion to become the stewards of the legacy. It is up to us to preserve the knowledge base and pass it onto future generations. We will do that.

For me, it is a sad day. For nearly my entire life, I have been a huge fan of all things Pontiac and devoted my professional career to writing about them and promoting them. Rest assured, that isn’t going to change.

Don, You write a helluva an article.

I sincerely hope the investment group gets the Pontiac and associated rights bought from GM. I doubt it'll happen tho as the bunch of green weenies screwing this country up right now doesn't want it to happen.

I'll alway have an old Pontiac around as long as I breathe and I hope the boys do also.

That being said I think I'll start buying Fords.

Mike

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    Don, You write a helluva an article.

I sincerely hope the investment group gets the Pontiac and associated rights bought from GM. I doubt it'll happen tho as the bunch of green weenies screwing this country up right now doesn't want it to happen.

I'll alway have an old Pontiac around as long as I breathe and I hope the boys do also.

That being said I think I'll start buying Fords.

Mike
    Thanks Mike!

As for Pontiac, I think that either scenario could work out in the long term. By going independent, they could really go out and do what needs to be done in the market. By just folding it, GM would retain the rights to it and could re-launch a smaller Pontiac lineup once the government has moved out of the car business.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
    Thanks Mike!

As for Pontiac, I think that either scenario could work out in the long term. By going independent, they could really go out and do what needs to be done in the market.

By just folding it, GM would retain the rights to it and could re-launch a smaller Pontiac lineup once the government has moved out of the car business.
    You're welcome, The truth is your work speaks for itself.

IMO, Independence is the only way Pontiac would survive and Flourish.

Do you really think the the Govt will step out? There're too many agendas to fulfill in washington for that to happen IMO. The last 150 days have proven that without a doubt.

If the Govt keeps there fingers in GM I have no doubt that it'll fail. They couldn't even run a w****house and make money!

Mike

Default Excellent Commentary

Don,

That is a superb yet concise article on the Pontiac demise and why it should have never been allowed to happen. Thanks for the insight and for sharing it with POCI.
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN
    Southern Division Director
    1961 Ventura 2-door kustom