Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default 1968, 69 floor shft **** removal

Hi Everyone,
    Please forgive me, I posted this as a reply to another thread instead of a new one. my problem is this: Trying to remove a shift **** from a 69 Gran Prix
    center console. My book says to remove the retaining clip, which I did, then
    to remove snap ring, which is missing, then to remove index plate and **** together, no luck. Am I missing something here? Is the index pin really a allen head screw? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bob Lee

IT's been too long since I had a 69 apart but it should be similar to later yrs.

I assume you're talking about the k n o b? Use a small screwdriver to pop the button out of the unit, there should be a small snap ring around the shift shaft under the button, remove it. there also may be a retaining ring that slides thru the side of the k n o b. if it's there remove it also. The unit should pull off the shaft. If it doesn't it's possible somone glued it fast in the past.

Mike

Default 68,69 gran prix floor shift **** removal

Hi Mike,
    What it looks like to me after more inspection, Is that someone broke the ears off the snap ring. Any ideas on how to get the snap ring off the stick? Any advise would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bob Lee

Default 68,69 gran prix floor shift **** removal

Hi Mike,
    I got it apart, all is well in cville. Had to remove the bottom snap ring first, then slide the **** down the shift stick to get at the broken top snap ring. once that was removed, it came right off.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Bob Lee

Sorry I didn't get here soon enough to tell you to try that. It's been a busy week!

I'm glad you got it off.

Mike