Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default A/C Compressor Mounting - 56 with 316

I have a Frigidaire compressor I would like to mount on my 316 V8. The compressor has the three brackets attached to it one single mounting point at the rear, a two bolt mounting point on the front of the compressor and a single bolt mounting point on the front of the compressor. The two bolt front mounting point appears to have a large almost engine front mount type of attachment which requires an additional bracket as it has vertical orientation. The only two mounting points I can see on the intake manifold are those used for the generator bracket. I have moved my generator a mounting point bracket held by intake manifold bolts on the passenger side.
    However, matching the orientation of the compressor to pictures I've seen of mounted units can't be achieved with a bracket or two I cannot see.
    Does anybody have a picture showing the brackets I cannot see and likely don't have. Any photos or diagrams would be greatly appreciated, I think I could probably fabricate the needed brackets if I could get some idea of their shape and location.

Thank you,
    Andy Taylor

Does anybody happen to have a car with AC but without PS? I'm looking for a photo showing the PS idler bypass pulley and how its mounted? I have an old parts diagram but does not show it in its mounted location.

From looking a numerous pictures on the web it appears there are two ways to mount the pulley, maybe its based on whether its a '55 or '56. One method seems to be the large cast bracket bolted to the timing covers via two bolts which then retains the pump. The other appears to be a bracket mounted more on the intake manifold with a brace that extends down to a point on the timing cover or maybe a point on the head. None of the photos show much detail. Each seem to have an intermediate bracket, looks to be a forged or stamped bolted to the brackets described above which in turn bolts to the pump or idler.

If anybody has a picture of either it would sorely appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy Taylor
    Last edited by Andy_Napco; April 27th, 2021 at 20:43.