Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Finally! My stage II turbo upgrade is in the car!

As TININDN stated about his HHR - this is a REAL seat-of-the-pants upgrade. WOW! Third gear in my Solstice GXP is absolutely astounding. And, as an added bonus, gas mileage has taken a decided step forward (how can you beat this?) - average now is hovering around the 35+ mpg mark for highway cruising (up from 32 mpg on a route I've traveled often, so the results are quite accurate) and average mpg is at the 32 mpg mark just 'bopping' around using conservative driving techniques. Of course, putting your foot into it gives a different result, but it's nice to know that the power is there waiting for that occasional 'rush', or merging into traffic on the interstates. This is no wimpy 4 cylinder engine (it wasn't before the upgrade), it pulls like a very healthy V8. GM got it right!! I can tell you that this little engine is giving performance that rivals that of the '05 GTO I traded in on it.
    Have fun and be safe!
    Frank

Default The end of Pontiac? WOW!!

It appears from the latest news items that Pontiac as a brand (niche or otherwise) will be no more! How sad. But, save your Pontiac parts, because they will only become more in demand.
    I am hoping that a couple of the models (at least) will be rebadged as Chevrolets - maybe the G8 and the Solstice - because of their desirability in the specialty market. Chevrolet has no comparable models and those two would round out the line so there would be something for everybody in an affordable range of prices. Here's hoping!
    Of course I'm biased regarding the two Pontiacs I've cited because of my past and present experience with Pontiacs over the past 50 plus years of driving, having owned a number of the performance models (I still own a '70 GTO, 455 HO, 4 speed) and presently the 2007 Solstice GXP (great little roadster!!).
    I'm glad I was able to get the turbo upgrade installed, although it is the same as those used in the HHR, but they may have become more difficult to obtain. The irony is that the upgrade not only makes the car more powerful it also makes it more efficient, so that may serve as the major justification for its continued availability rather than the performance increase. I've experienced about a 10% increase in MPG with the upgrade - best of both worlds!
    I just had to 'sound-off' a bit. Thanks for 'listening'.
    Frank

TININDN Guest

Hey Frank-

I'm putting the HHR on the wheel dyno Saturday -

I'll keep you posted on the results -

How many Solstice hardtops do they plan on producing?

Default Solstice Coupe production?

Quote Originally Posted by TININDN View Post
    Hey Frank-

I'm putting the HHR on the wheel dyno Saturday -

I'll keep you posted on the results -

How many Solstice hardtops do they plan on producing?
    Dave,
    Hard to say now, but I had read the production target was 10,000 units per year. Now, who knows? Anyone lucky enough to get one should have an instant classic, collector car. I had intended to buy one myself, but the cost was too great compared to the deal I got on my '07 GXP. I also read that the dealers were adding to the MSRP (no discounts on the coupes), but that may change. There was one case where I read the buyer was going to pay a $10,700.00 premium!! I hope that did not happen because it would set a bad precedent and I believe that GM should not allow that type of gouging.
    Yes, let me know how the dyno comes out on your HHR.
    Thanks,
    Frank

5. Default

On a conference call earlier this week, Jim Hopson estimated production for the 2009 Solstice coupes at 800, and about 2,000-2,500 G8 GXPs

TININDN Guest

Frank:

Here's the numbers at the front wheels -

Equates to about 300 HP at the flywheel and based on curb weight (3150) + driver weight (225) should run 14.00 seconds in the quarter +/- 2 tenths.

No bad for 2 liters - almost 2 HP per cubic inch at the wheels and 35 MPG on the highway (25 MPG overall) to boot!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default dyno figures

Dave,
    Thanks for the numbers and chart. Is your HHR an automatic? If so then the torque numbers would be lower than for a manual trans car. Not sure quite why that is , but that's what Pontiac says about the upgrade specs for the Solstice. I also noted on your chart that the curves fell off somewhat before the 6500 redline figure (up from 6200) that the kit installed in the Solstice provides. Per my tach, that is exactly what shows as max rpm before the engine management begins to limit it - the engine wants to keep going and would probably blow itself up if allowed to do so.
    Thanks again for the info. I don't have easy access to a wheel dyno or I'd have mine tested also - just out of curiosity.
    My lowest overall mileage to date has been 28mpg+ when I'm just 'fooling around' with the car. Great technology, in my opinion.
    I think someone ought to produce a split exhaust manifold to let the engine breathe a little easier as well as allow a true dual exhaust system. Not sure how it would fit under the car, but it would give it a definite exhaust signature. I suspect these engines would be 'Indy' material if really exploited to their true potential. The factory engineers have produced some awesome numbers in the 1200hp range with the ECOTEC 4-banger.
    Frank

TININDN Guest

Frank:

I think the "tune-up" is a little different in an HHR - the FWD auto trans probably isn't as rugged as the Solstice trans.

Now they need to offer a Stage 3 kit to make 400 HP -

Default 400 hp is well within the possibility for the Ecotec engine

Dave,
    I think that is a great idea! But doubt we get that.
    As to the manual trans in the Solstice (you may already know this) it is the same as used in the H3 Hummer and the rear is the one used in the Cadillac CTS and STS models, so the drivetrain is plenty stout. There are some other mods out there to increase the performance, but are not as cost effective for what increases you get. I doubt I'll do anymore to my GXP other than maybe minor cosmetics. It's just a fun ride and I want to enjoy it.
    So far there are no disappointments!
    Frank

Sorry, I don't visit here often. I ordered my GXP in June of '07. It arrived at the dealership December '07. It was delayed when prodution was stopped on GXP's for an intercooler problem. It was difficult to see this car sit in a garage all winter. I have since installed hood vents from an early '90's tubo Grand Prix, Magnaflow cat back and GMPP tune. This car is unbelievable.
    Attached Images Attached Images