Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 1950 Master Cylinder Access

Hi guys,

I am a long time Pontiac guy but first time owning a flathead car. I've got a lot of issues and need some help. First off - the car doesn't stop very good. First step would be to check the fluid. The guy before me redid the carpet and did not leave an access flap to get at the master cylinder. PLUS ... he glued down the carpet. SO ... now I have to cut a flap and I will just get floor mats to cover the cutting I have to do. Too bad .. because the carpet does look good. So that I don't have to make so many cuts does anyone have a pic they can post so I can approximate my cuts? Thanks!

2. Default

Well - I now it was a silly request ... but I am not as young as I used to be and crawling under the car with my bad back sucks. I will do it today and let you know what happened. My son said he would help me! Let's se about that!

3. Default

Too much stuff to move to do today on Father's day. I will try next weekend. I have to get the cars out of the driveway, Move the GTO out from the other side, Move the motorcycle and then move the streamliner over into the middle of the garage so I can work on it. Sucks getting old. It isn't the age as much it is my back. I'm 52 but feel like 82.

Quote Originally Posted by longislandsteve View Post
    Hi guys,

I am a long time Pontiac guy but first time owning a flathead car. I've got a lot of issues and need some help. First off - the car doesn't stop very good. First step would be to check the fluid. The guy before me redid the carpet and did not leave an access flap to get at the master cylinder. PLUS ... he glued down the carpet. SO ... now I have to cut a flap and I will just get floor mats to cover the cutting I have to do. Too bad .. because the carpet does look good. So that I don't have to make so many cuts does anyone have a pic they can post so I can approximate my cuts? Thanks!
    You will have to lift the carpet on the driver's side to access the master cylinder. You will also have to pull it up further over the transmission tunnel, because that is where you will find access to the automatic transmission dip stick.

Default Master Cylinder Access.

Quote Originally Posted by 50scars View Post
    You will have to lift the carpet on the driver's side to access the master cylinder. You will also have to pull it up further over the transmission tunnel, because that is where you will find access to the automatic transmission dip stick.
    Let me advise you there are no access holes in the floorboards of any Pontiacs of the vintage you have. I have owned numerous from 1941, 1948, 1950 1952, & 1955.
    The location is directly under the steering column and can be reached from inside the engine compartment. Never tighten the Master Cylinder cap past finger tight as it can be come difficult to get off over time. You can use a funnel to ad fluid to it that is long and thin like a transmission funnel. There are two holes for access in the floor on the hump for transmission checking & filling. Any further info or pictures needed let me know I'm the 1939-1942 tech advisor.

6. Default

Thanks guys. The guy left an access hole for the tranny. I just automatically assumed it was under the floorboards. I will pop the hood this weekend and report back.

Default Master Cylinder Access

[QUOTE=longislandsteve;10719]Thanks guys. The guy left an access hole for the tranny. I just automatically assumed it was under the floorboards. I will pop the hood this weekend and report back.

Please find a couple of pictures to show what is under your carpet.
    Notice how Master Cylinder can be seen but not accessed through pedal panel.
    Picture of transmission hump shows the transmission access holes. The red hole plug shows where transmission fluid is checked and added.

8. Default

Thanks so much J. I have not had a chance to work on the car as my back has been giving me issues. I will get under the hood and start fixing the brakes soon. Boy - getting old sucks!

9. Default

Wow! It has been 4 years and This past weekend I started to take a look at the car again. I see the master cylinder and it is in a tough spot. ANyone know the size socket I need? I am guessing about 1".

Quote Originally Posted by longislandsteve View Post
    Wow! It has been 4 years and This past weekend I started to take a look at the car again. I see the master cylinder and it is in a tough spot. ANyone know the size socket I need? I am guessing about 1".
    On my '49 Streamliner there are three overlapping access panels in the floorboard directly beneath the steering column. When they are removed, the master cylinder is exposed. It took a 7/8" open-end wrench to loosen the cap; I'm not sure you'll get a socket and ratchet in there.

I have attempted to attach some photos. One of them shows two of the panels removed and the third one still in place.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images