Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default Turbo400 in my 61

Hi all, installing a Turbo 400 in my 61 Ventura. Since this swap is quite common I need to know what trans dipstick and tube to use. I know people use aftermarket parts but I`d like to know if there are any other alternatives. Thanks

2. Default

From tech advisor Rick Gonser:
    Hi all, installing a Turbo 400 in my 61 Ventura. Since this swap is quite common I need to know what trans dipstick and tube to use. I know people use aftermarket parts but I`d like to know if there are any other alternatives. Thanks
    1) This swap is not all that common, because a TH-400 is physically too big to fit under the floorpan
    of a 1961-64 Catalina. The dipstick tube simply compounds the problem. A TH-200-4R, TH-350, or
    TH-700-R4 is smaller and much easier to install...

An alternative dipstick that works pretty good is:

ATI Trick Sticks Locking Transmission Dipstick 406491

If a large transmission is still being considered, I recommend replacing the floorpan with one from a StarChief or Bonneville.
    Not easy, but doable with a Milwaukee SawzALL and a MIG welder. The new crossmember pictured is a Caprice "double-hump" item to allow the trans to sit up higher and clear the exhaust pipes. It also sits several inches forward to mate with the tranny while still allowing the proper driveshaft angle...
    Paul Bergstrom
    POCI Club Office Mgr.