Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default Steve's New 1950 Streamliner

Hey guys,

I am a long time Pontiac owner. I have had my fair share of GTOs and other 60's and 70's Pontiacs. I evem owned for very short periods of times a 56 and a 57. This is my first flathead! I love the 1950 Streamliner I just got. However it has issues that I haven't had to deal with before. I will attack them one by one over the winter and hopefully you guys can point me the way.

PROBLEM #1 - overheating.

It goes up to 230 - but won't go over that. Too hot for me. I shut her down and put her away. It has a newly redone radiator. I am guessing thermostat. At least that is where I am going to start. I ordered a thermostat and gasket from Amazon. Hopefully they are the right ones and they do the trick!

Problem #2 - Gas guage doesn't work! Where can I send the fuel sender to have someone repair it? I am guessing you guys may know someone.

Problem #3 - The previous owner converted it to 12 volt with an alternator. The dash gets real hot ... great ... I am guessing he did not put a voltage reducer of any sort in. The car is completely stock. Should I just put in a voltage reducer for everything? I am not real good with electricity so .... if you can help me with this talk to me like you are talking to a 2 year old!

Any good resources you can recommend like manuals for this car? I am new to the world of flatheads!

Thanks!

Steve
    "Real men don't need valve covers."

2. Default

(posted on behalf of John Harvey)

Welcome to the world of flatheads. Actually, flatheads do have valve covers--they are located behind the manifolds. I have always maintained that real Pontiacs have chrome on the hood.

1 Start with the electric problem. You might talk to either the electrical T/A and or the Street Rod T/a about your 12 v conversion. Correct this first,and your overheating and gas gauge problem may cure themselves.

2. Gas Gauge sending units are available from A****er Kent Mfg. 12 Jacques st, Wooster, Ma. 01603
    Phone 508-792-9500

3. Does the car actually blow coolant out of the overflow,m or is it just the gauge that runs hot?

John Harvey
    50scars@frontier.com

hi steve, you can check the actual engine temp by using a infra-red temp gun, normally six volt wires have no problem handling twelve volt, less ampere required to move twelve volts from point a to point b. i know from personal experience when changing my 62 grand prix from 12 volt 40 amp generator to 12 volt 100 amp alternator the amp gauge would get pretty hot smelling. if the engine really does get up to 230 degrees, you should hear rumbling boiling noises in the cooling system. the previous owner changing from six to twelve volts may have damaged the gas gauge itself, the tank unit is basically a ground with a variable resister to make the gauge read correctly. my advise to you, is to consider changing everything that's is twelve volts back to six volts.

charles l. coker
    1953 pontiac tech advisor
    tech advisor coordinator
    poci # 2660

Quote Originally Posted by POCIClubOffice View Post
    (posted on behalf of John Harvey)

Welcome to the world of flatheads. Actually, flatheads do have valve covers--they are located behind the manifolds. I have always maintained that real Pontiacs have chrome on the hood.

1 Start with the electric problem. You might talk to either the electrical T/A and or the Street Rod T/a about your 12 v conversion. Correct this first,and your overheating and gas gauge problem may cure themselves.

2. Gas Gauge sending units are available from A****er Kent Mfg. 12 Jacques st, Wooster, Ma. 01603
    Phone 508-792-9500

3. Does the car actually blow coolant out of the overflow,m or is it just the gauge that runs hot?

John Harvey
    50scars@frontier.com
    flathead valve covers are below the set of manifolds, not behind the manifolds, lol.