Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Thread: Smokin!

Default Smokin!

In my '69 GP (400-4bbl) Making the trip back from the fall Pontiac car show at the museum in Pontiac, IL...noticed white smoke from the exhaust when I let up on the pedal on the hwy. Low on oil when I got home. Valve prob, right? Also started backfiring? Ideas??
    Mark

Currently own a '69 Pontiac Grand Prix Model J
    Once owned...1963 Grand Prix, 1967 Bonneville coupe, 1968 GTO Convertible, 1969 Grand Prix model J, 1972 Grand Prix Model J, 1977 Grand Prix LJ, 1979 Grand Prix

Check out www.classicpontiacmuscle.com!

2. Default

White smoke is usually coolant and blue is oil but it may have just looked white to you. Valve guides/seals could be your problem. The back firing could be fouled plugs. I would have a compression test and if that doesn't show anything a leak down test performed. If the engine has a lot of miles on it fixing the top end will usually lead to bottom end problems showing up after. Prepare for an overhaul.

Also could be a bad transmission vacuum modulator...