Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Thread: 1963 Tempest

Default 1963 Tempest

A 1963 Tempest I did for Tony Defoster back in 2000 and the work involved.
    Check out his use of 8-lug wheels and large Pontiac Power.
    Pictures also shown of car with new owner in2007 @ Norwalk, Ohio Tri-Power Nationals.http://www.antiquecarparts.net/1963%20Tempest.htm

Default 63 Tempest Lemans

Very nice '63 Tempest. I am restoring a '63 Lemans myself. I'm curious. Does the car you restored have the transaxle still or did it get converted to a conventional Pontiac rear setup?

Default Rear End Convertion

Yes, Tony's 1963 Tempest had a narrowed full size rear end installed to handle the large power plant.

Default 63 Lemans

This is my first post, so hope it turn out ok.

J. Patterson; nice pictures of the coupe project. I am restoring a 63 326-4V, auto, Lemans convertible. It's an original, numbers matching car and is being restored that way. I attached a couple of pictures, first one is how I found the car about 6 months ago and the other is where it is at now on a rotisserie. Having already rebuilt the engine, trans-axle in the transmission shop right now and upholstery in the works, I now understand why most of these car have had drive train conversions and the cars built as a resto-mods. Parts are tough to find and are expensive. GM was doing some innovative work back then! This car has power nothing except for the top. And it has stuff that I don't see in the shop manuals, like fins on the front brake drums, front sway bar and a stabilizer (shock/dampener) from the center link to what looks like a factory power steering ram bracket. It looks like the car was ordered to be just a simple, fun and fast car.

Funny thing, as I was looking at the your project pictures, I noticed the Crosley sitting next to the Tempest. I also have a 47 Crosley sedan convertible. What are the odds of a Tempest/Lemans and a Crosley being in the same place twice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Tempest-Crosley combination

Dear Remwines,
    It doesn't surprise me to find this combo of cars in any shop who works on these old cars.
    Many of my customers suffer from unusual quirks -but that is what makes this hobby so great.
    I plan to add some more pictures of some other memories to my web site in the future. One event we attended was an old car auction to settle an estate and the guy had quite an assortment of Crosleys they sold that day.
    Your project looks like a great start to a beauty when your finished.
    Hopefully the club can help with parts sources and knowledge when ever the need arises.
    Post some more pictures and progress reports to encourage others and they can comment and encourage you too.
    Jim

6. Default

I would like to see these pictures but the link doesn't work ?
    Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by JPatterson View Post
    A 1963 Tempest I did for Tony Defoster back in 2000 and the work involved.
    Check out his use of 8-lug wheels and large Pontiac Power.
    Pictures also shown of car with new owner in2007 @ Norwalk, Ohio Tri-Power Nationals.http://www.antiquecarparts.net/1963%20Tempest.htm