Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default Heavy Duty Oil Bath air cleaner 1948

I am looking for the wording on the decal of a Heavy Duty oil bath air cleaner for a 1948 straight eight engine. Mine is mostly gone and I have someone who will make a new one but I want to get the wording correct. I have seen reproduction decals for the "standard" air cleaner and I know it is different than the HD oil bath type. I have looked at mine in all types of light and from every angle but I can't make out the small lettering at the bottom under the "PONTIAC - PONTIAC MOTOR DIVISION - GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION" words. It starts with the words "For inspection and...". That is all I can make out. I know it has something to do with the maintanence of the air cleaner. I think the same HD oil bath cleaner was used on a few years each side of 1948.
    If someone can post a photo on this forum it would be great. If you can't, let me know and I will send you an email address to send it to.

Thanks,

BFLIT

Default Air Cleaner Decal

I have had great success with Jim Osborn reproduction decals.
    He lists one on his site for your application with a picture.
    It is at the bottom of this page on his site.
    Good Luck.
    http://catalog.osborn-reproduction.c...=415&offset=90

If this link doesn't work go to Jim Osborn Reproductions, and go to the bottom of the front page for catalog under construction.
    Then go to Pontiac and it is found at the bottom of page 4 there.

3. Default

"- Every 2000 miles or oftener under extremely dusty conditions -" How often do you see the word "oftener" used today? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JPatterson View Post
    I have had great success with Jim Osborn reproduction decals.
    He lists one on his site for your application with a picture.
    It is at the bottom of this page on his site.
    Good Luck.
    http://catalog.osborn-reproduction.c...=415&offset=90

If this link doesn't work go to Jim Osborn Reproductions, and go to the bottom of the front page for catalog under construction.
    Then go to Pontiac and it is found at the bottom of page 4 there.

JPatterson
    Thanks for the Osborn web sight. The decal you mentioned is for a standard air cleaner as it does not mention filling air cleaner with 50W oil. I have contacted Osborn to see if they have any other decals. I also contacted California Pontiac Reproductions and they only have the the same standard decal.

Koachwerks
    Thanks for that bit of info. I think there is more to it though. I can see on my oil bath that the words go on for several lines, maybe 5 or 6 lines.

I'll keep searching and let you know if I come up with anything.
    BFLIT

5. Default

BFLIT,

Sorry, I was only making a comment on the label that is on the standard air filter because I found the verbiage to be amusing.

Have you had any luck finding the decal you need?

Chris

Update: I got a pretty good photo of the air cleaner from B. Harris the '48 tech support from POCI (Thanks Bill!). I was able to decipher the wording. I contacted Osborn and he said he is not interested in doing the decal. I am now trying to contact CPR but for some reason the email address is not working. Looks like an old fashioned phone call is in order. I also have a local shop that makes decals for autos/trucks for businesses. I am planning on visiting them soon.

I suppose that there are many H D air cleaners out there that do not have a good decal on them. If I do find someone to make them I will post to this thread with info.

7. Default

Thanks for the update. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone who can make the decal for you. From my model railroading days I know people make thier own decals. Can't see why this would be any different. When you do get one made, if it is of the water slide decal type, look for a product at the hobby shops called decal set. It "melts" the decal onto the paint for a strong bond. It also hides the edges for a cleaner look. My brother used it recently on an oil filter restoration for his Studebaker. Turned out super nice.

Good luck!

Chris

It has been awhile since I wrote the original post but I just wanted to give another up date. I did get a decal made at a local shop and it came out great. If anyone is looking for one I had a few extras made.

9. Default

Glad to hear you were able to have some made. Could you post a photo of the decal on your air cleaner?