Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default Nagging Mini Anti-Freeze Leaks

What's with these old cars? I have all new hoses and clamps, cleaned all the connections. I also used a general purpose sealer on the connections, but if my 66 Grand Prix sits idle for a few weeks it will begin to dribble anti-freeze out of various connections. If I use the car regularly this is not a problem.

How about clamp types? I use stainless steel worm clamps but they do have the slots to allow the worm gear to bite. Maybe I should go to the more vintage style clamps?

Any comments on the best sealer to use appreciated. How about stop leak additives?

Simple answer would be to use it more...love to, but New England winters really puts a crimp on that...

Ken

Ken,

Unlike most products that contract when the temperature rises, rubber will expand. Thus when your car sits and gets cold, the hoses and perhaps other seals might be "opening" up a bit. I would suggest that you check each clamp to ensure that each one is securely tightened. Sometimes, they can loosen just a bit and cause a minor leak. Occasionally I experience the same as you do whereby when the car sits for an extended period, especially when it is cold. I see a couple drops of antifreeze on the floor even though all clamps are tight...not sure where the seepage is originating. Also, I would definitely stick with the worm clamps. I believe they perform a better job than the original style clamps. I would be very reluctant to add any product that claims to help prevent leaks...you might do more harm than good.

Vince

Hi Vince,

Thank you for the response. Took the simple approach and went through all the clamps. Sure enough they all needed a good snugging up. After a week in the unheated garage, although I didn't eliminate all of the leaks, it was significantly better.

Ken

The same thing always happens to my 64 Catalina when it sits for a a week or more during the cold months. Mine always leaks from the upper radiator hose/thermostat housing even with the clamp tight.

Quote Originally Posted by 64Catalina View Post
    The same thing always happens to my 64 Catalina when it sits for a a week or more during the cold months. Mine always leaks from the upper radiator hose/thermostat housing even with the clamp tight.
    Might be the hose! especially the ames hose. which is very thin in comparison to a factory hose.