Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Thread: 287 Rebuild Kit

Default 287 Rebuild Kit

Greetings,

I'd like to rebuild my the 287 in my '55. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to find a rebuild kit or experience with a specific brand or company?

Thanks,
    Jeff

As far as I know no one has a rebuild kit as a complete package, you will just have to buy parts as needed. Sources are www.pontiacparts.net (preferred), www.kanter.com (in a pinch) or google Egge Machine. The 287 was a one year only displacement so anything unique to it like pistons and bearing inserts are probably getting hard to find. Items that interchange over a few years like gaskets are easier. An experienced machinist to help determine what can be safely re-used will be helpful for you too, good luck,

Todd Crews, POCI 1957 Technical Advisor

A guy at SoCal Speed Shop said he used Kanter parts to rebuild his '61 Cadillac and was happy with it so I'll check them out. I've found a few companies that make cams and a few other rebuild parts. It does seem like I'll be able to reuse a number of things, as you mentioned. I'll check out Egge Machine as well.

Thanks for the advice,
    Jeff

hi jeff, please do not buy pistons from egge in santa fe springs, ca. they are a very poorly made product, i had my 53 straight eight rebuilt professionally and egge pistons were installed, 15,000 miles later one piston came apart in the oil ring groove, and another rebuild was required. do not buy egge pistons. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Thanks for the heads up!

I used the Kanter kit on my 55 and the engine runs like a top. Just have the block machined first so you can get the right sized pistons and bearings.