Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default POCI ST. Charles, Illinois Drag Race

Wanted to thank all of the volunteers of the POCI event for their hard work and efforts. I know it takes a lot to put together an event like this.

The events at the convention center were organized. The only concerns I had were in reference to the drag race held at Byron Dragway.

Volunteers knew little to nothing about the drag race event held at Byron. I was very suprised at the lack of information on the event. No one could tell me the hours the track event was scheduled for.

A few years ago, it seems that the POCI was wanting to reach out to gain new members. A big emphasis was placed on drag racers that had helped carry out much of Pontiac's rich performance and racing heritage. The POCI drags seemed to be a big success and supported another group of members and Pontiac enthusiast.

I do not remember much if any information in the Smoke Signals magazine about the race. With any type of event, getting the word out is important.

I noticed this month's Smoke Signals magazine had coverage on the event. No drag racing coverage? I know in the past that you have split issue coverage because of the size of the events, but there were only a handful of participants at the race. These guys,( drag racers), are important members in my book too.

Hopefully next years POCI drags will get a lot more attention and be treated rightfully so. These members are important and a big supporter of the Pontiac hobbyplace.

Thanks

Super, thanks for kind words regarding all who volunteered their valuable time at this year's convention. As to you concerns about the drag race, I can only say that 2012 was very problematic at best. We are very grateful that the owners of Byron Dragway opened up the facility as a courtesy to our Pontiac hobby. That is right, they did not charge POCI an $8,000 rental fee that others required.

Enough of the past. In 2013, we have grand plans to once again hold one of the country's premier Pontiac Drag Days in conjunction with the convention. We are hopeful of a track test 'n tune on Thursday evening, our Pontiac Drag Day on Friday and a Musclecar Drags on Saturday for those who are not show goers.

Details will be shared as they are developed.
    Dave "Big Injun" Anderson
    dave@4mypontiac.com
    '66 GeeTOW Wagon (Tempest Custom)
    '67 GTO Pro-Street
    '01 GTP
    '09 G8 GT

Thank you Dave for the reply.

Byron is an extremely nice facility and I am happy they gave use of the track to POCI.

I know all of you are very commited to having a successful event. Thank you again to all volunteers.

Was the race held off until the last minute? I really do not remember much if any advertising for the race. A six hour drive was a long haul to only watch a handful of cars race.

I am glad to hear there are already plans in the making for 2013. Does Don plan to place some ads in the Smoke Signals magazine and possibly other Pontiac sources (High Performance Pontiac magazine) for the drag race?

It really was a let down in 2012. I hope there is more communication about the event in 2013. I would really hate to drive 10+ hours again only to see a small handful of cars drag racing. We will have two cars to bring next year to the drag event.

I hope in the future there is more emphasis put on the performance history of Pontiac. Drag racing is one of the best ways to display this. I, along with my friends, all of which are POCI members, have a broad range of interest in the Pontiac hobby. We own everything from an original 1937 Pontiac flathead 6 to a 1974 SD-455 Trans Am. I enjoy the convention displays etc., but feel there is so much more that is being left out.

Hopefully, Don will have some event coverage of the 2012 race. I know there were hardly any cars in attendance, but I feel these guys deserve some recognition.

Thank you