Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default Please re-visit Desperate, 58 brakes

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I am still fighting these 58 brakes. I think the only thing left is because of a slightly low vacuum, to adjust the valves so I can get all the vacuum I can. Not knowing what I was doing I ordered a pretty chrome plated booster "back when" that I'm sure is not the right size. If anyone knows where I can get a booster that is at least as good, or hopefully a lot better please let me know. I am still open to any suggestions and thanks to all of y'all again.
    Robbie

Pretty much started from scratch. 58 Pontiac chieftain 370, two barrel carburetor with power brakes. Had to make a vacuum canister. nos rear brake drums, new rear pads, "pads are adjusted to within 1/2 inch of drums", all wheel cylinders rebuilt, new brake lines, etc. new master cylinder and two port reservoir. Brakes have been bled many times and I have enough vacuum to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. All the vacuum lines are capped off except the main one on the back of the carburetor to which I have a vacuum hose going to a T with one hose going to the vacuum canister and the other to the master cylinder.
    Still not getting much more than mechanical brakes and reading on the Internet that 58 Pontiac's were notorious for not having great brakes, (although not remembering this when my wife and I were dating in my dad's in 58) I figured the way to go was to put disc brakes on the front. Not any better, and am afraid for her to drive.
    While corresponding with Yahoo 50s group, it was mentioned I would probably need residual check valves for different pressures to the rear drums and the front disc brakes. I just never did get a definitive answer so I would know exactly what to do.
    If anyone is willing to help this old fart, it would be so much appreciated. Of course I'll be glad to answer any questions that I am able to.
    Robbie
    imrobbie@bellsouth.net
    Last edited by imrobbie; January 3rd, 2013 at 13:14.

I think you need to adjust your brake shoes a lot closer to the drum diameter...I think they should be very close to touching or even a very slight drag...for starters.

did that, no help
    thanks

Default 1958 Brakes

My suggestion is check with some of the brake suppliers who advertise in Smoke Signals magazine or other brake shops who strictly specialize in brakes. To many of these conversions have been done not to find an easy answer.
    I believe you need a proportioning valve to create the brake pressure you want on front & rear brakes.
    On our newer vehicles they use a different diameter tubing for the front brakes and rear brakes also to achieve this.
    Last but certainly not least ask member Larry Crider what he did on his very modified 1958 he races.
    Good Luck!

We just put a disc brake system on our 59 and they work like a champ. My son and I chose to have a mechanic do this based on our time and experience constraints and the fact that he drives the car regularly. I'l try it myself in the future. We bought our kit from MP Brakes as they recently came out with it and their reputation is good with long history. They would be able to help and maybe even sell you the right parts. You could also find a mechanic who knows what to do like we did, no sense wondering if your safe to drive that's too important.

Good luck.

Not trying to be a SA, but did you get in touch with whoever you got the disc brake kit from..to see if they could provide technical advise?

thank you so much for your reply
    Being new to the club can you tell me how to get in touch with Larry Crider.
    Robbie

Sure. Login to the POCI site and click on "POCI Member Roster". Enter "Crider" in the Member Search box and click the "Find>>" button.
    Larry Gorden, POCI 1956 Tech Adviser

www.PontiacSafari.com

I have been in touch with Scarebird who I got the front disc brakes from but seem to be getting a run around.
    Thanks
    Robbie