Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Thread: brake lights

1. Default brake lights

New here and just got a 50 Pontiac chieftain about 9 months ago. Rebuilt the brake system mechanically and am having trouble getting the brake lights working. Jumpered the 2 wires coming out of the brake light switch tohether and got tem to work, so I know the wiring is good. And also have a new brakelight switch. Any ideas? Is it based on pressure? Are my brakes not bled properly? Also the lights are dim. Is that just the nature of a six volt system. Any help is appriciated.

hi, even a new pressure type brake light switch could be bad, yes, they are the pressure type switch, i would make sure the connections are clean. dim lights are a sign of a bad ground. granted six volt lights won't be as bright as twelve volt lights, but i know on my 53 custom catalina, there was no problem seeing both the tail lights and the brake/turn signal lights come on. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Default Same problem with 1946 Torpedo.

Quote Originally Posted by florida_penguin View Post
    New here and just got a 50 Pontiac chieftain about 9 months ago. Rebuilt the brake system mechanically and am having trouble getting the brake lights working. Jumpered the 2 wires coming out of the brake light switch tohether and got tem to work, so I know the wiring is good. And also have a new brakelight switch. Any ideas? Is it based on pressure? Are my brakes not bled properly? Also the lights are dim. Is that just the nature of a six volt system. Any help is appriciated.
    I have the same problem after replacing master cylinder. Someone suggested air in the lines. Haven't had the chance to bleed them again. Will post if that works.