Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default 1955 Manifold Heat control valve Stuck

Hi I have a problem with the Exhaust Manifold heat control valve on the pax side. The valve is stuck and I would like to find out where I can get it repaired. I would like to find another one but I can't find one with the same casting number 518089 GM - 1. This old Pontiac Wagon was bought by my dad when I was 3 months old. I am trying to keep it as stock as I can doing a frame off restoration.

Hello Wagonman, I had been waiting to see if an old timer would give you advise on this but see it has not happened yet. BTW, your engine looks really good in the photo, congratulations, hope to see more photos in the future.

If the heat valve is stuck it will just have to be UN stuck with heat and/or penetrant. If it is stuck open I would probably leave it alone, especially if you have already finished the painting the manifold. If it is stuck closed then you have to get it free, and to make it work properly you would probably need a new thermostatic spring and anti rattle spring. I do not know of any specific repair services for these items, just soak in rust penetrant, try to move, heat, soak, repeat. Others may weigh in with more advice on this, good luck,

Todd Crews
    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor

To tell you the truth Todd I am not sure if it is open or closed. I will try some Mouse milk on it when I can find some. Not it the stores here local. I have been told that the Mouse milk is high temp lube for turbos. but I have not use it yet. Any help there will be great. I am trying to build a point car, keeping it original. So far all installed parts are either original restored or NOS.

Like Todd, I was waiting for a "smart old timer" to advise. Todd is smart and I'm an old timer so maybe together we can help.

You'll probably need to remove the manifold so you can apply the penetrant on inside and outside. If there is a good auto machine shop around, you might try taking the manifold to them and see what they can do with it. As Todd says, if it is stuck open you can just leave it be -- but the engine will be slow to warm up, especially in cold weather. If it is stuck closed and can't freed then an alternative is to cut out the valve leaving the external parts in place for show. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a good used manifold.
    Larry Gorden, POCI 1956 Tech Adviser

www.PontiacSafari.com

Quote Originally Posted by lgorden View Post
    if it is stuck open you can just leave it be -- but the engine will be slow to warm up, especially in cold weather.
    Just taking another look at your photo and it looks as if your restorer has already painted the manifold, if so it would be a shame to ruin the finish. I think the first step would be to remove the exhaust pipe and look and/or feel inside to see if the valve "butterfly" is open, as I suspect it is. If it is open I would leave it alone. As Larry says, the engine will be slower to warm up but it is unlikely you will be driving in 20 degree weather and at 70 degrees it will likely never be a problem. Plus, leaving it open might help slow the inevitable burning the paint off the intake manifold heat riser passages. Look at any Pontiac that has been driven and you will likely see what I mean.

Another problem with freeing the valve is the possibility of an exhaust leak around the butterfly shaft. Write back for any other questions and good luck, Todd C

PS--I had never heard of Mouse Milk but looked it up and that sounds like a good start if necessary.
    Last edited by poci1957; January 6th, 2012 at 09:38.

Thank for all you input. I think I will Take It off and take it to a Machine shop. I have not been able to find another one with the same casting number. Thanks Again Wagonman

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonman View Post
    Hi I have a problem with the Exhaust Manifold heat control valve on the pax side. The valve is stuck and I would like to find out where I can get it repaired. I would like to find another one but I can't find one with the same casting number 518089 GM - 1. This old Pontiac Wagon was bought by my dad when I was 3 months old. I am trying to keep it as stock as I can doing a frame off restoration.
    From the picture it appears that the parts can be removed easily since the fenders are not in place. Once removed you can try an 'old' mechanic's trick which is to heat the unit from the inside - not too hot but hot enough to melt wax - then apply a common candle to the shaft, where exposed and let the wax penetrate into the shaft bore. This works on bolts that are seized and allows them to be removed with a wrench/socket, etc. So I think this will very likely allow you to get that butterfly/shaft freed up. Once the shaft is able to be moved apply some WD 40 or similar penetrant and keep working it back and forth. The rust will actually act as an abrasive and essentially remove itself from the shaft/bore with the WD 40 (or other penetrant) acting as the 'flushing' agent. There is no lube that will stay in there due to the heat from normal operation, but if the engine is run on a fairly regular basis it won't allow the shaft to sieze up again.
    Good luck - beautiful job on the engine and I suspect that is also an indication of an excellent job on the rest of the car!

Frank