Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default 2012 emissions codes for GM built vehicles

A few years ago I sent Ben Deutschman some info (later published in Smoke Signals) about the legal fights going on between the States (especially California) and the Federal EPA about whether states can set their own emissions levels, instead of the EPA setting a uniform standard at the federal level:

In May of 2011 I found the 2012 emissions codes for GM built vehicles. Obviously from the memo there is not one standard for auto emissions and GM can't build one drive train to meet all emissions - there are three different option codes for emissions. Luckily, with modern engine control units and other computers to adjust timing and tune, much of the different build doesn't have to be "hardware" or different mechanical systems. It can be different computer programming and coding to cause the engines to run at a different “tune” by the engine control unit.

After reading the memo - whether you can understand it or not (I still scratch my head after reading it three times) - you probably will get the feeling that this variety of emissions requirements is a nightmare (i.e. more cost to the consumer) to accomodate in manufacturing.
    Last edited by TimMaddox; September 5th, 2011 at 10:18. Reason: updated info

While what I am about to write may seem a bit dimissive, or trite, it is not intended that way.
    I am not surprised by the multi-state emissions rules, this is a typical bureaucratic approach to a situation. As long as someone can say they've addressed the problem, the solution does not need to be the correct one, need not make sense, or anything else about the bureaucratic response be right, just as long as someone in the bureacracy can say, I addressed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TimMaddox View Post
    A few years ago I sent Ben Deutschman some info (later published in Smoke Signals) about the legal fights going on between the States (especially California) and the Federal EPA about whether states can set their own emissions levels, instead of the EPA setting a uniform standard at the federal level:

In May of 2011 I found the 2012 emissions codes for GM built vehicles. Obviously from the memo there is not one standard for auto emissions and GM can't build one drive train to meet all emissions - there are three different option codes for emissions. Luckily, with modern engine control units and other computers to adjust timing and tune, much of the different build doesn't have to be "hardware" or different mechanical systems. It can be different computer programming and coding to cause the engines to run at a different “tune” by the engine control unit.

After reading the memo - whether you can understand it or not (I still scratch my head after reading it three times) - you probably will get the feeling that this variety of emissions requirements is a nightmare (i.e. more cost to the consumer) to accomodate in manufacturing.

Let me just add, that what you have stumbled upon, seems to be a bandaid, to cover GM until they can produce 50 state emissions certified vehicles in certain model lines, in an apparent attempt to be at least able to sell some of certain model lines, versus none, even if only in those states where the particular vehicle can comply with existing emissions certification rules. A nightmare indeed, and I can only imagine what fun this bandaid approach will create years from now, when these once new vehicles enter the used vehicle market.

Quote Originally Posted by TimMaddox View Post