Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Hybrid View

Default Exhaust problems !

Hi there,

I could need some help or advice about my exhaust system ! Still having original headers, I would like to change them, because I can't get it leak-proofed ! Not to mention the noise ...
    Can I get them somewhere new or does anyone know if I can put some other headers on the 287cui-Engine ??

Regards,
    Ernest

Sorry Ernest but no one makes headers for 1955-57 Pontiacs. I've only seen photos of one set custom made but that is a job for a professional. The biggest difficulty in making headers for 1955-57 Pontiacs is the close clearances on the drivers side. Your stock headers can be made leak-proof if the headers aren't damaged.
    Larry Gorden, POCI 1956 Tech Adviser

www.PontiacSafari.com

Quote Originally Posted by lgorden View Post
    Sorry Ernest but no one makes headers for 1955-57 Pontiacs. I've only seen photos of one set custom made but that is a job for a professional. The biggest difficulty in making headers for 1955-57 Pontiacs is the close clearances on the drivers side. Your stock headers can be made leak-proof if the headers aren't damaged.
    Larry,

I think I could fix my headers again, but I wanted everything new, so I wouldn't have to worry in the future. Now, the exhaust part, going under the engine from the left header to the right side, is that one available somewhere ? It got so thin over the years, that I can't weld it anymore. Also, I read something about a dual-flow System that was on the '56 Safari ?? Does the safari have the same chassis as the Starchief ??

Regards,
    Ernest

Stock reproduction exhaust pipes, including the exhaust crossover are probably available somewhere, I would try CPR (www.pontiacparts.net). An exhaust shop could probably make the crossover with yours as a template.

Dual exhaust was available on all 56 Pontiacs except the 3-seat wagon. Dual exhaust was not available in '55 but can be added by cutting holes in the drivers side frame for routing the left-side exhaust -- or by routing the exhaust under the frame (probably not a good idea). I bought dual exhaust for my 55 Chieftain sedan from Sears -- but that was in 1960 so I doubt they still have it.

Pontiac wagons, including Safari, have the same frame as the Chieftain. Star Chief has a slightly longer frame & wheelbase. Chassis/suspension components are the same for all Pontiac models except frame and springs -- I think.

www.PontiacSafari.com

Thank you Larry, for your help ! What engine's would fit in my Starchief and of course on the Hydramatic ?? 389cui ? 455cui ? In fact I'm not looking for much power, but there are really no parts available for the 287cui V8 ! No headers, no intake...
    Looks like you know a lot about these cars .. ;-)

Ernest K.

Glad to help Earnest -- with what I know. For info on interchangeability of engines, go to www.PontiacSafari.com, click on "Pontiac Garage", and under the heading "Component Identification and Description" click on "Pontiac Engine Component and Interchange". Read the part on "Interchangeability". I consider the 1959 Pontiac engine (389 ci) the ideal choice for bolt in power for 1955-56 Pontiacs -- if you are budget constrained (don't want to spend a lot of $$$). 1957-58 engines would be good choices too. Any post 1960 engine (including 421, 428, and 455) replacement will require you to fabricate motor mounts and use later transmission.

Upgrading to any later engine will not solve your problem with availability of headers. There are headers available that will bolt up to your 55 engine but not with the engine installed in the car. That problem will not go away with any replacement V8 engine. Regardless of what engine you install, headers will not be available that will fit into the chassis (that I know of).

55 engine parts aren't that difficult to find so if you aren't looking for more power, keep it original and stick with your stock engine. Replacing the engine will cause more problems than it will solve (if it really solves any problem) and may lower the value of the car.

www.PontiacSafari.com