Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
  1. Default 65 Pontiac Bonneville

I have (2) 65 Bonneville Convertibles. One that I call my "driver" car (picture is in the member info on the POCI site) & one that I bought as a "donor" car. I was eventually going to put the which I thought was a 389 from my "donor" car into my driver. Because some owner before me had put a Pontiac 350 engine in my "driver" car. Which I was just putting up with till I could find a 389 in it. That's why I bought the "donor" car, thinking it had a 389 in it. Which I found out happily later was really a 421 instead with a 400 trans attached & a limited slip differential. So, now I have a delimma of which car to continue to put my efforts (and money) into. My car & motorcycle buddies have been pressuring me to rebuild the possibly matching numbers "421" car. This is why I am trying to find out if the car with the 421 in it is "really" a numbers matching car. Which, for obvious reasons, I know would be the one to redo. But if it isn't a numbers matching car, then I may continue to do what I planned originally by swapping the 421/400 trans into my "driver" car. I have attached a copy of the all info I have been able to find so far on the 421 car. I have gone on line to find out what constitutes a numbers matching car. But, I am a little confused with the numbers on the block that are supposed to match the last 6 digits of the VIN. Is this the number that is stamped on the front right of the block where the "YH" is stamped? I have been told that that number is just the engine production code & that the number I should be looking for is on the back right of the block near the #8 cyl. It has the "transfer lug" & the "YH" stamp which makes it a 421, right???? I ran a PHS check, it came back that this car was invoiced to be built on 1/29/65 with a 421 in it. The casting numbers by the distributor is L264, at the front of the intake manifold is L204 & on the differential is A65.....so that fits as to being made before the invoice build date....right???? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated......Thanks
    ....One other thing. Originally it was built with a power bench seat & a column shifter in it. I thinking, if I do rebuild the "421" car about putting (if I can find them) bucket seats & console shifter in it. Will that effect the value of the car????

Please reply to Ron via email
    Paul Bergstrom
    POCI Club Office Mgr.

email sent.