Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Thread: Restoration

Default Restoration

I just retired and got around to finishing the spray booth in my shop. I have the 63 Lemans Convertible ready to go to the acid stripper and will spray it soon after with epoxy primer. I took lots of pictures of the car as it came apart with emphases on the original body seam sealers. Question; where can I find info, pictures or literature showing how to duplicate original seam seals, undercoats, what gets paint sprayed and so on. I've spent a lot of time and effort to keep it's original appearance and what to get this part right.

Thanks,
    Bob

TININDN Guest

Bob:

Although I have never dismantled an early Tempest/LeMans, I have done body-off frame restos on a fair number of early '60's full size cars.

The specifics on body seam sealer application, sound deadening material, paint overspray, etc. doesn't seem to be specific from my observations - in other words, no two cars were exactly the same, but, generally similar.

If you took photographs of your particular vehicle, I would suggest you try to duplicate from the photos what those individuals did on the line when they built your car. Photos of your original unmolested car also can really be beneficial in a points judging situation.

Another avenue you may want to check is with wrecking yards that may still have some of these vehicles, especially yards in the drier western climates. Maybe ask them to take some photos, or, if there is another POCI member close by, ask them - it can't hurt.

Scott Tiemann is a POCI member from Michigan, and I know he has done some high-end restos on early Tempests for drag racing applications, and maybe he would be willing to give you some advice from his observations.

Good luck with your project, and keep us updated!

Default Restoration

Thanks for the input. I'm able to dive into it and will post my progress from time-to-time.