Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
    Stark Hunter Guest

Default Carpet - 63 Bonneville 2-Dr Sport Coupe

Own an all-original, excellent cond, 63 Bonne 2-Dr HT, Blu/Wht exterior, Blu interior. Except front carpet worn badly,driver side, between pad and front of seat. No luck so far finding NOS replacement front carpet. Wish to keep car "original", don't want thinner/cheaper modern replacement carpet/pad. Have I any hope? If a REAL professional restorer was restoring this car to TOTALLY original condition, could they even get the original carpet/padding duplicated (weight/cut/pile/color/molded shape, etc.) under ANY circumstances? Any expert advice? Thanks so much.

This is the second question of this type I have seen recently and both have me puzzled. I bought replacement carpet for my 1963 10-15 years ago and the replacement looked correct to me, standard 80/20 loop. I got it from Ames and it was (I think) made by Auto Custom Carpets.

Has current carpet become this inauthentic? If so, what is incorrect about it? Or have you not ordered a catalog from www.amesperf.com as every big car owner should? I would like to know what is happening since replacement 80/20 carpet has always been one of the easiest things to find and I cannot imagine there is any NOS molded carpet out there. Todd C

I bought my G/P's carpet thru Performance Years and it's dead nuts on to my original.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    I bought my G/P's carpet thru Performance Years and it's dead nuts on to my original.
    Yeah, mine was certainly close enough that I did not see a problem.

I have seen earlier models with incorrect binding (that most people would not notice) and I see 1950s models with lurex thread seem to be out of production, but I do not understand carpet being an issue on 1960s models. Todd C

Stark Hunter Guest

Come on guys. Have some respect. I'm asking for EXPERT advice. I've confirmed (twice) with ACC that they CANNOT duplicate OEM carpet. (What has anyone said that would make me think "Performance Years" would have anything different??). I don't care for the Fox News versions of "Carpet Talk" opinions, like "Well, it looks the SAME to me", "Close Enough", etc. And there IS N.O.S. carpet advertised EVERY month for a number of early 60s models, just not my particular car and color. I'm interested in hearing from REAL professionals, restorers who know what carpet weight, pile density, yarn thickness, carpet base, padding thickness and material REALLY mean. I'm serious about my car. I'm not just shooting the carpet "opinions" breeze. Any REAL knowledgeable pros out there with POCI? Would thank you. Stark

Well, even though I guess you think I am too much of an idiot to participate, I will chime in and ask again:

What exactly do you see as the problem with the carpets you are being offered?

Todd Crews
    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor
    (and apparently)
    Disrespectful Ignoramus

Stark Hunter Guest

Jeff - Can't thank you enough for your suggestions. I'll give them a try. I contacted Harry Samuel quite a while back. He knows what he's talking about. He did buy a lot of GM NOS interior stuff, checked his warehouse, doesn't have any blue carpet for my 63 Bonne. He explained the significant differences between original manufacturer's carpet and today's standard "replacement" grade. The thinness and differences in pile and construction are really obvious when holding a "replacement" sample (from a major supplier) next to original carpet. Stark

Stark Hunter Guest

Jeff - So you've gotten to see Harry's place? Cool. One can tell he's been around and has a good head. I'm glad your carpet is in nice enough condition to consider having it dyed to restore it. You're lucky. Mine's already worn badly in a limited area. I hope to find there's SOME trustworthy manufacturer SOMEWHERE (Mexico? Great Britain? Who knows?) still even making heavier, close to original quality/weight auto carpet. I wonder where people who are authentically restoring Rolls-Royces (or whatever) get their non-cheap, non-thin carpet? First I'd have to even find at least original-equivalent carpet material. Then I'd have to figure out how to match color. THEN get it heat/steam molded/shaped to fit the car. TALL order. Even if anybody was "parting out" a Bonneville with blue carpet like mine, I'd have to make an inspection trip (wherever) to see in-person before even thinking about buying. It would still be almost 50 years old, and probably lived a HARD life. But I gotta try until I decide it's totally stupid or impossible (then maybe buy some really nice floor mats to hide my worn area, swallow hard, and hang onto the otherwise excellent condition original carpet everywhere else, including the door panels. Congratulations on having your 64. Stark

Quote Originally Posted by poci1957 View Post
    Well, even though I guess you think I am too much of an idiot to participate, I will chime in and ask again:

What exactly do you see as the problem with the carpets you are being offered?

Todd Crews
    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor
    (and apparently)
    Disrespectful Ignoramus
    This is apparently his opinion towards me also Todd. Evidently being in the Automotive business for 25yrs and getting paid for it doesn't count.

Jeff, When did you Get into the Automotive / Restoration Business?
    The last I knew your profession was in commercial maintenance?