Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default '58 Bonneville - Blue Dots?

Is it possible to install blue dots with the 58's concave lenses? Has anyone done this, or ever seen it done?

I'd like to do it using glass dots but it looks challenging with drilling a hole for the lense and retaining ring.

Any comments or instructive insight is welcomed.

Thanks,

Jim

I'm sure it's possible but it'll take precision locating of whee to put the holes so they work and a sharp bit. The insert needs to be put directly inline with the brakelight bulbs to fuction properly.

Mike

022561 Guest

Federal law along with most states vehicle codes prohibit blue dots.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by 022561 View Post

D.
    But do they enforce it????? Only time you would get hit up here is if they couldn't find anything else wrong to write a ticket,then they start "nit pikin" to find a reason to ticket you!!!!
    Sometimes I wake up grumpy. But today I let her sleep in!!!

022561 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dualquadpete View Post
    But do they enforce it????? Only time you would get hit up here is if they couldn't find anything else wrong to write a ticket,then they start "nit pikin" to find a reason to ticket you!!!!
    Hi Pete, well that's a good enough reason for a start. It can also be used as a excuse for more states to jump in on yearly vehicle inspections. Anything that brings the wrong kind attention to the hobby, for example in my state of Ca., tampering with emission devises on cars from 1966-1975 which are exempt from testing, but are still required by law to have them on the car and in working order. Or vehicle ride height, bumper height, side pipes (unless factory),ect. draws attention. If you look at some of the auto related proposed legislation each year it would make your head spin, that is why it's important to support groups like SEMA to help defend the onslaught. But first we must remain legit and be within the law.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by 022561 View Post

D.
    Thanks...re: Federal Law - I'm not aware of that one? Does it say absolutely none, or are there qualifiers?

GA law permits them on >25 year old cars. But, I see a point about running into problems driving in other states.

Don,, Ontario has no yrly. inspections" YET" but I can see it coming soon. Labour day wknd the Police & DOT set up roadside inspections & the number of vehicles that had the plates [tags] removed was "ASTOUNDING" TV was there interviewing the people stranded there with no vehicle!! They said they should have just been given a warning to get it fixed "SOMETIME soon!!! These cars were worse than some in the wreckers already, one had no floor under the rubber carpet, no brakes & frt end was a dissaster + the trailer he was pulling wasn't fit for the road either but he thought there was nothing wrong with it & should have been allowed to go to the campground 100mi. up the road!!! The only time our vehicles get inspected is when the ownership [title] changes hands, that could be 15 or 20 yrs. ago. We have an emmissions check every 2 yrs 1988 & down are exempt. The Gov. is bound to put 2 & 2 together, require the inspection & then they will get the extra tax of 13 o/o on every invoice but it will get the "crap" off the road. Not only are they risking their own lives but others on the road as well!!!!!!1
    Sometimes I wake up grumpy. But today I let her sleep in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
    Is it possible to install blue dots with the 58's concave lenses? Has anyone done this, or ever seen it done?

I'd like to do it using glass dots but it looks challenging with drilling a hole for the lense and retaining ring.

Any comments or instructive insight is welcomed.

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim,

I have a set of blue dots here and the retaining ring is already fastened to the blue dot lens. If you do it, I would suggest practicing on a scratched up lens that you intend to throw away anyway. Support the center of the lens where you plan to drill so that it won't flex and crack. Use a sharp drill and don't try to go too fast. There are drill bits made specially for plastics and one of them might be a good investment. Here's a link to info on drilling plastic:
    http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/drill_acrylic.htm
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN
    Southern Division Director
    1961 Ventura 2-door kustom