Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Todd your 100 o/o "right on" the Barrie Flea Mrkt. has a 70 o/o auto parts rule but they don't enforce it!! If they did then he's lose all the non auto venders, & he doesn't want to do that??? Chevelles & Camaro's are like "belly buttons" everybodys got one, but put it up for sale & your beating the buyers back with a bat, "It's take a number, offer more than than the last guy" Same with a TRI FIVE Chev. one guy commented a cruise in this summer that "GM must still be making them, as theres more here than were ever made" Think I'm one of the few with a PONCHO either Cdn. or American & very rarely do you see a 55 to even 66 Pontiac at a show??? Don't think they survived, a few Fords made it, but Chevys, there are Thousands of them
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

It is all too bad since I love a good swap meet. And the remaining parts on hand now reflect the Chevy world too--I went to a very active spring swap meet this year with two guys who were looking for Ford parts and we found nothing but Chevy stuff.

I guess part of the issue may be this theory: In the 1960s and 1970s there were lots of used Chevys available for teenage buyers, and they tended to be easier to work on. They were easier to soup up as they were lighter and had little extra equipment, and parts could often be swapped over several years. Buick/Olds/Pontiacs were heavier, more expensive and more complicated, usually with an automatic and often air and with more trim and features that might change every year. So that is what a teenage buyer and his friends bought. Then when nostalgia set in 30 years later the Chevy was what they remembered and despite the fact that Buick/Olds/Pontiac were nicer and more interesting they were attacted to Chevys by nostalgia and peer pressure. And it has all steamrolled from there. Just a thought, Todd

Another thing to consider on the BJ front is that Craig Jackson, from what I've been told collects Camaros and Mopars. Shill bidding will drive an auction price up in a hurry when a pretty girl's flashing her goods in the non shill's face encouraging him.

i personally think prices are shifting to a more realistic value range and when that happens the investors will move on to the next thing.

MIke

I think they will too.

I think for us here old cars are just part of our lifestyle, I have had old cars in the family since I was 12. But take a gold chain/trophy wife guy on TV at Barrett-Jackson. He has some money to park in an investment somewhere and chooses to try an old car rather than a stock because he thinks it may be fun, so he buys an old Corvette. Six months from now the trophy wife is not impressed with this smelly, old, uncomfortable car and it has already leaked something on the garage floor. He doesn't have any tools or equipment, hasn't worked on a car for 30 years and his fancy subdivision won't allow it anyway. He also realizes that with the TV and the buyers premium he has overpaid for the car, somewhat to his embarrassment. It has become a source of inconvenience rather than fun, and he has to keep paying to license, insure and store it. This is just not a rewarding situation for this guy. So I agree, I think it will happen too, it has before. Todd C

Speaking of "SHILL" bidding,I spoke with a member of the Canadian Pontiac site in person at a outing & he told me a story of being at an auction & bidding on a Beaumont,he was high bidder at $600 then another guy started bidding, got up to $1200 & the new bidder turned to Auctioneer & said, after his bid was raised by the fellow telling me this," well Jim, thats all I can do for you on this one!!! Was this guy PO'd or what!! He said he was still happy he got the car as it was all complete & untouched & "might " run but got screwed by the auctioneers "BUDDY" I wonder if this happens at B-J cause somrtimes you don't see the other bidder????
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dualquadpete View Post
    Speaking of "SHILL" bidding,I spoke with a member of the Canadian Pontiac site in person at a outing & he told me a story of being at an auction & bidding on a Beaumont,he was high bidder at $600 then another guy started bidding, got up to $1200 & the new bidder turned to Auctioneer & said, after his bid was raised by the fellow telling me this," well Jim, thats all I can do for you on this one!!! Was this guy PO'd or what!! He said he was still happy he got the car as it was all complete & untouched & "might " run but got screwed by the auctioneers "BUDDY" I wonder if this happens at B-J cause somrtimes you don't see the other bidder????
    I feel this happens most of the time especially when we are talking about a non reserve auction such as Barrett Jackson. I have talked to many people who state, they have a friend bidding for them to help bring the price more to what they were asking for the car. So much for the "Sells to the highest bidder" statement. A friend of mine also drives a truck delivering nothing but collector vehicles. He stated for many years now, he has taken back home about 95% of the cars he has hauled to many large auctions, simply showing the owners are buying back the cars and giving a false statement of the true value the cars are bringing.

Larry Crider
    RT 66 Oklahoma
    POCI Director
    Southern Division

Larry, now that's interesting, as I always wondered when a car sold there for "way" under the cost of build, if the owner would make some sort of "deal" with the "HOUSE" instead of taking a BATH on the car & losing it!!!! As Arty Johnson used to say on LAUGH IN "interesting, very interesting"

022561 Guest

Default "The chevy Show"

Hey guys here we go again. Barrett-Jackson on Speed tonight. Show title " The Chevy Show "
    Sure wish Pontiac could get that kind of hype!

Don

Went to a "Fall Fair" last night that had a car show as well. A "RESALE RED" 71 Chevelle arrived, BB 454 black stripes on hood & trunk etc. with a "FUR SAIL" sign in the window, couldn't get near the car for people looking at it!!! I did notice a few of the car guys do a "double take" when going by my Catalina & seeing the "non chevy" engine with the dualquads on top, as there was a Canadian Parisienne Custom Sport rag top 2 cars away from me with the 283 Chevy in it. Guess if it's RED & a Chevy it draws a crowd!!!!

Well folks, Murray got his Monty Carlo from the "train" yard this past Fri. Came in from the west coast, a 35000 mi CREAM PUFF, owned since new by a 85 yr. old gentleman that can't drive any more!!! Met him at a HUGE car show north of Toronto,on Saturday,over 1200 cars there called the STOUFFVILLE MOTORFEST for charity,as I'm checking out the Monty a fellow asks him "Wanna sell it" no sign on it, but it's a "VIRGIN" car if I ever saw one,but that's how easy it is to "flip" a Chevy compared to a Pontiac, I left him talking to the guy so don't know if it's gone or not??? Did see one thing there that made me laugh, all out DRAG CAR [PRO STOCK?] Camaro & on the Blower hsg. it had a sign that said " NO BOTTLE, NO JUICE, JUST BIG ***** & BOOST After show was done it got a little "hairy" as someone did a burn out on Main St. Then it seemed every car that "could" DID, we sat at the sidewalk & watched but this is the kind of thing that will "SHUT DOWN" a show for good!!! Didn't take long for the town cops to call for back up from provincial police,but by then all the "nut bars" were long gone too!!!!