Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chevy vs Pontiac in re sale

I was just talking to an old friend of mine & "former POCI member. He has switched over to Chevy's now as he said you can "flip" a Chevy for what you paid for it after driving it all summer where as you can't sell a Pontiac to save your "A$$" I'm starting to think he's right as when I had my Catalina for sale I didn't get one call or e-mail & everyone said I had priced it too Cheap!!! This fellow is the one who put me onto the 64 back in 2002, & has had some gorgeous Bonniville convertables over the yrs. Any thoughts?????????
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

I think your friend is right when it comes to big Pontiacs, not as much with GTOs and Firebirds. May be different in Canada but I think this is the case in the States.

The moral to this? If you want to coldly buy and sell old cars just for the money get a Chevy you can "flip." If you want something interesting to hold on to get a Pontiac. Todd C

022561 Guest

I had my LeMans in a car show this past week-end and there was a guy with a BEAUTIFUL low mileage and restored 73 T/A. This guy entered his car in stock 1949-75 class because he felt he couldn't get a fair shake in the Camaro/ Firebird class which was all Camaro's. There is a guy in the next town from me with a reasonably priced 55 Star-Chief custom Catalina for sale ( he was at the show too) and that car has been for sale for over a year and a half, the owner tells me just no interest out there.
    Prices on some of the older ones are holding especially 1926-34 that are unmolested. As the year continues and the economy gets worse look for people to hold on for better times or in some desperate casses to sell low.
    Pete, I wonder if the Canadian's feel helpless that their economy is tied so much to the U.S.?
    Don
    Last edited by 022561; September 7th, 2010 at 23:04.

Don, our economy is "bouncing" back, companys are hiring again & construction is way up. We never really went into the "TANK" as much as the US as our Banking system had "built "in protection that didn't allow what happened to you guys. My friend Murray, doesn't even put a 4 sale sign in his last 3 Chevys, just has people come up to him at a show or cruise & say "Do you want to sell it" he puts a # on it & it's GONE!!! He's waiting for his next one to arrive by train from the "West coast" & YEP another BOW TIE Think he has more "fun" doing the hunt for the next one.
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

Quote Originally Posted by Dualquadpete View Post
    Think he has more "fun" doing the hunt for the next one.
    I wondered if that was the case when I read your first post. I think that is the case for lots of guys into old cars these days, especially if they flip one and make money they get a little craving for more.

The more interesting question is WHY do people want to buy Chevys rather than Pontiacs? Not the flippers, who obviously just figure out where to follow the money, but the amateur collector/buyer who eventually keeps the car. I have thought about this for years, especially when I look at the cheap interior of a Nova or 1970s Camaro. I have a few ideas, what do you think? Todd C

022561 Guest

Don, our economy is "bouncing" back, companys are hiring again & construction is way up. We never really went into the "TANK" as much as the US as our Banking system had "built "in protection that didn't allow what happened to you guys. My friend Murray, doesn't even put a 4 sale sign in his last 3 Chevys, just has people come up to him at a show or cruise & say "Do you want to sell it" he puts a # on it & it's GONE!!! He's waiting for his next one to arrive by train from the "West coast" & YEP another BOW TIE Think he has more "fun" doing the hunt for the next one.
    Pete,
    That is good news to be sure for you guys. We were supposed to have safeguards put into place after the great depression and then more safeguards after Jimmy Carter torpedoed our ecomomy with 19% home interest rates. Just looked what happened. Now this new guy this week wants to pour more gasoline on a already out of control fire...what madness. If he keeps it up everything will be worth nothing and the luxuries like antique cars will be one of the first to go.

Don

Todd, I think they go for Chevys for the same reason Murray switched over to them, if you have to sell it,you want it to go easy!!! Another friend [yes I have 2 ] has a 41 Graham Hollywood street rod for sale, had a interested party, but he went to Nebraska & bought a 60 Vette for 5 grand MORE than the Hollywood, Friend was PO"d but I said to him "if you have to sell it later, which one is easyer to sell" the vette of course??? I spoke to a few of the members from Ontario that have had their cars on site here awhile ago, when mine was up for sale & none of them had any calls, thought it might be that the Cdn. addr. might shy some people away, but I don't think so now. Years ago a fellow I knew collected antique cars & he allways said "if it's got a BOW TIE on it you can't lose money, he's gone to the "CHEVY HEAVEN" a few yrs. back now but I think he was RIGHT!! I'm still sticking with the TIN INDIAN it's in the blood now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd, I think they go for Chevys for the same reason Murray switched over to them, if you have to sell it,you want it to go easy!!!
    Well, it is no wonder the hobby is so much less fun when old cars are just a commodity to be bought and sold. Such a hobbyist might as well be selling stocks or truckloads of grain for fun. If this means I have to drive a Nova with a cheap plastic interior to impress other hobbyists ("...oh, imagine the great resale value on THAT...") I would rather just give up.

Your thought is certainly right for many people though. I said somewhere recently that this is apparent in that the center of the hobby is no longer Hershey (celebrating the restorers craft), but Barrett Jackson on TV (celebrating selling for a quick buck). And there is little doubt that in that mindset I chose the wrong path with Pontiacs and (OMG!) my Alfa Romeo. Looks like the Nova guy may suffer in a cheap interior but he will indeed sell faster than me. No accounting for taste, Todd C

Todd, haven't been to Hershy in a long long time, maybe 20yrs. Last time was with the chevy guy that passed away. We have a long standing auto flea market up here just north of Toronto in Barrie. They called it the Hershy of the north, but it has gone down hill over the years. The promoter -owner started to allow "non automotive" venders in, & now it's refered to as the" Barrie SOCKS JEWLERY & CLOTHING market" Owner won't listen to venders complaints about it & keeps raising the prices each yr to rent a spot & admission prices. He had a good thing going but got greedy, now the auto venders are not going & the parts hunters are "fed up" passing spot after spot with all the "crap" while seeking out the parts!!! I also think the internet has affected the auto flea mkrts. as well when you can search there & not have to "pound" up & down the isles, but to me thats half the FUN of it!!!! Barrett-Jackson is ruining the "hobby" for us little guys, even though the 1st. day of sales is usually the "driver" class of car everyone see the "HIGH DOLLAR" car & thinks "Jeez, my old 58 [whatever] out behind the barn is worth HOW MUCH"!!!! You can see the prices go up right after one of their TV spots, & they seem to be getting "GREEDY as well as they are doing more & more shows from new locations. How long before their bubble bursts???

Hello again Pete, sounds like we have similar thoughts on both these events.

Many swap meets have been in decline for just the reasons you say and the internet has added to the loss, that is for sure. The big midwestern US swap meet in Iola Wisconsin has an iron clad rule that 90% of all items must be auto related and every vendor must have items for sale and not be just parking in the spot. They firmly enforce this and even with this rule they still have an oversupply of vendors with toys and cheap tools. It is tough, and everywhere else with no rules seems to be losing car parts in favor of flea market items, just as you describe.

And as for Barrett-Jackson, I should give them credit that their marketing is a thing of genius. The seller pays a commission, the buyer pays a surcharge, all spectators pay hefty admission, and the whole country now sees them as the center of the hobby because they are on TV. One day this year the commentators more or less sniffed that anything under $100,000 was not really worth their time. And as you said, now when I find a $2000 LeMans in a backyard the owner thinks it must be worth $20,000 since it looks just like a GTO that they saw sell on TV for $50,000.

I think it sends the wrong message to everyone, and I also think it has added to the love of Chevys (and Mopars) that we were discussing. Now the buyer wanting an old car sees the Chevys over and over at the auction and that is what catches their eye. In other words, IMO, they decide they want an old car for others to admire, but one just like everybody else's. Todd