Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default '79 Sunbird Sport Safari Wagon - Last of the Breed

I have modified my 1979 Sunbird Sport Safari wagon into a "panel truck", thanks to a donor Chevy Vega Panel Express wagon. 1979 was the last year for this Kammback wagon body style. It has the factory 231 V6, automatic transmission. I added the sidepipes and also found a set of the 13" snowflake rally wheels, added a sunroof and the front fibergl*** spoiler. It's my summer ride that gets quite a few looks and compliments.... most people have some reaction the the Vegas/Astres on the 70s (usually something like: oh yeah, I had one, it rusted out but it was a fun car to drive, or, that 4-cyl. engine didn't last long!). Production was pretty low this last year (2,902). Mine was a nice clean find, it came out of Tulsa, OK. Any other Pontiac H-bodies out there?

In the attached photo, we are ready to head out a few years ago to the Iola Swap Meet, towed that little pop-up camper trailer from Minneapolis to Iola and back w/no problems!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is cool! What a unique ride. I always liked the sunbird hatchbacks and wagons (dont care too much for the notchbacks). Always wanted to find a nice hatchback Sunbird Formula.

Thanks! I agree, those 70s Sunbird Formulas had some great styling, mini Firebirds. You sure don't see them around much either.

I'd like to see pictures of the Canada-only Astres that were built when the US first got the Vega. I know the Astre came to the US later but it was after the '74 redesign.

I once say a photo of what appeared to be a 71-73 Vega with a split dual grille. I was told it was the Pontiac Astre. I have never seen one before or since but I'd love to.

My first car was my grandmother's '71 Vega so I am sucker for a clean H-body still today. Great Sunbird.

Default 1973 Pontiac Astre

Here is a factory brochure cover for the 1973 Canadian Pontiac Astre. In 1975 the Astre hit the U.S., production of coupes, wagons and hatchbacks through 1977 and then the wagon only continued in 78 and 79 as the Sunbird Sport Safari

-Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the brochure pic. It looks great. I remember seeing a similar photo of a '73 Astre (different color though). I distinctly remember the split grill that my '71 Vega didn't have and I wondered why I never saw any until I was much older.

A high school buddy of mine had a '77 Astre Formula. It was a great looking car in those days.