Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
  1. Default Trim Background Colors

Good Evening All:

I am wondering about the correct colors for trim backgrounds on the '49 Pontiac, for example:

1. What color should be in the background center of the wheel covers?
    2. What color should be in the background of the PONTIAC name badge on the front of the hood?
    3. What color should be between the ribs of the chrome strip down the center of the both the hood and trunk lid?

If any of these colors are "special" Pontiac colors, behaps someone knows where to buy them?

Thanks,
    Green Mountain Bill

PS: Attached is a picture of my '49 Streamliner Deluxe, 6cyl, 4dr. Sedan when it was all together. Now...pieces all over the place.

G.M.B.,

The wheel cover centers are red. If there is a certain "Pontiac Red" for this, I don't know where you would get it.

On my '49, the name badge is chrome with the lettering painted black. I assume that's the way it was originally.

The area between the ribs on the hood and trunk strips would be painted body color. Mine lost that paint long ago and the strips are all silver. It doesn't stick to the chrome very well. I remember that paint peeling on my parents' 49. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, my brother and I pulled off some of the loosened paint. My dad let us know in no uncertain terms that we shouldn't do that again.

Bill

022561 Guest

Bill is correct on all three.

Don

4. Default

Thanks, Bill for the information. What about the background of the Chief profile in the center of grille ornament? Should it be chrome or some other color?

The Bill from Vermont

I believe that background is also red. Mine isn't anymore, the paint is gone. But looking at color brochures and ads from the time show it as red.

I have found that a pretty decent color to use for the red in wheel covers, 49-52, and the quarter panel medalions on 51 and 52 is a color you generally find in aut parts stores on the Duplicolor paint rack GM colors as "GARNET" I don't remember exactly which years or models it came on, but it is somewhere between a toned down red and maroon, which seems to be pretty darned close to what little specks I had left on some original parts.

RE getting paint to stick to chrome. Clean it well with a degreasing solvent and use a self etching primer as a base, let it cure per instructions and then lightly scuff it with scotch brite [ultrafine] and spray your color. If applied corrrectly it should hold.

Mike Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    RE getting paint to stick to chrome. Clean it well with a degreasing solvent and use a self etching primer as a base, let it cure per instructions and then lightly scuff it with scotch brite [ultrafine] and spray your color. If applied corrrectly it should hold.Mike Nixon
    I prepared some lettering on stainless in this manner and it has held up so far. My self etching primer was in a spray can from Eastwood.

Painting on chrome or stainless trim is always dicey and probably would not hold up to weather, but as I said mine has held up so far. Good luck, Todd C