Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Street rod, custom, and modified question

I'd like to ask all you guys and gals who own Pontiac, Oakland, or GMC street rods, customs, or otherwise modified cars and trucks a question. If you don't belong to the Street Rod & Modified Chapter, what is your reason for not joining?

The SRM chapter is one of the oldest in POCI yet has pretty low membership. I'm curious as to what the reasons are. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN
    Southern Division Director
    1961 Ventura 2-door kustom

Define Street rod / custom. I think that most people don't consider their car a rod even tho it may classify.

MIke

Well, the chapter is called the "Street Rod & Modified Chapter," so to me it has always meant street rod, hot rod, pro-mod, pro street, race car, custom, etc. If a car fits in any of the modified or customs classes at the convention, it would be a good candidate.
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN

So my G/P with Rally wheels qualifies, at least they got it put in the semi modded class at Dayton. Damned good parking spot tho!

I also think there are quite a few "purists" within the POCI. But I don't think to the same degree as the AACA. I'd love to do a street rod but don't have the resources to do it right now.

Allan, good question, & I guess the question for me is how many chapters can I afford to join, & what I could give to chapter or receive up here in Canada. I have POCI dues, CPSC [Canadian Pontiac Specialty Chapter] dues, local hot rod club dues, ETC all on fixed income, I don't know if the same reasons stop others from joining up or they just don't see the need, as POCI is enough!!! North of the border limits members on activity's with Poci functions, as to distance, exchange on U S $$$$, hotel fees, gas, + pass port to cross into U S. I was hoping to make the Convention this yr, but all of the above put that in the "toilet"
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

I'l also add that Pete's got a good point with the multiple fees associated with joining chapters.

I know several people who say that's why they don't.

MIke

Mike, great letter in latest Signals, just got it & was 'amazed" but not shocked on participation in your POLL[Zero response] Keep plugging the web site!!! Just look at the POLL here for Grille Badges, last time I checked, only 12 members had answered it!!! There seems to be more "new" names popping up here on this site & thats a GOOD thing!!! Would like to know how many individual members have actually come on to check it out, [maybe we should take a POLL ] just kidding. I still think there are more members than you think that are not on line or don't use the computor if they have one in home. When I did my dash I had 2 leads for dash parts up here, neither member is on line,phone only & both want nothing to do with it!!! Guess in "some cases " you can't teach "old dogs" new tricks!!!! I didn't want this computor either, now I'm lost without it.
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    I'l also add that Pete's got a good point with the multiple fees associated with joining chapters.

I know several people who say that's why they don't.

MIke
    Yes, that's a good point. That would be an interesting issue to address. What if a guy had a custom or hot rod, a stock Grand Prix, a Custom Safari, and a restored 1929? Chapterland would be an expensive excursion.
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN

10. Default

Pete
    yes, we are seeing more new members. I would like to challenge all folks, to take the take at their next chapter meeting to talk about this forum. Don't take for granite everyone is computer savey. What might seem so easy to us might seem a little tough for others. So please give them click by click instructions. I would also suggest seeing all chapter newsletters receive a article with the same discussion. Hopefully one by one we will soon get most everyone on board.
    As to Alan, I belong to 4 or 5 chapters and yes it's tough. I hear the same thing from others, the extra chapter membership dues are just to much.

Larry Crider
    RT 66 Oklahoma
    POCI Director
    Southern Division