Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org

Default Headliner help!!!

Im looking for info on the tack strip material used in the early 50s pontiacs around the rear window and over the side windows. Its about a half inch wide and a quarter inch thick. Looks like really thick tar paper. Ive heard of it refered to as "rope" before. Need to replace mine when i get a new headliner and cant find much info on it. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'd contact a good upholstery shop and see what they suggest.

I let them do the headliners on my cars anyway. They REALLY **** me off and it's money well spent.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion, I was considering some professional help for the installation. Ill have to call around. Thanks again!

Well, for once this is an easy problem. That material was used for years on headliners and convertible tops and a replacement is commonly used that should be available in any shop that does convertible tops. It is a rubbery plastic material that will not rot and will hold staples, and comes in 2 sizes, one about 1/2" x 1/4" as you stated, and a wider and flatter version. If yours is a slightly odd size one of these can be sanded or trimmed to fit. Good luck!

Todd Crews
    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor

Thanks for te the info. Used on convertibles too huh. Does any one know of a specific name for the material itself?

Quote Originally Posted by reese5397 View Post
    Thanks for te the info. Used on convertibles too huh. Does any one know of a specific name for the material itself?
    See this link, click to view catalog and see pg 109.

www.restorationspecialties.com

It is plastic tacking strip, available in the two sizes. I see they have the cardboard too but in this case the modern replacement is far better in every way. Good luck,

Todd Crews
    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor