Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: slowing down!!!

Arrow 50scars has it right.........

Don,

If don't think that we are listening check out sccpoci.com, look @ the last few Smokes issues now printed by a new printer @ a signifigant cost saving to the members, the POCI President, numerous Directors, and some Tech Advisors that are frequent posters on this Forum w/o compensation.

Question: instead of making a POCI member wait for a Tech Advisor to furnish the information he was seeking, why didn't you step up and make all of us look good . On a personal note, now that you two are retired why don't you share your considerable knowledge and experience by volunteering to perform service in the POCI or your local chapter, if there is one in your area.

Your mention of this being 2010 only serves to remind me how spoiled we all have become to expect fast, accurate, and free mechanical counsel .

Les
    Last edited by Les Iden; January 23rd, 2010 at 20:35.
    1966 GTO Sport Coupe
    1968 Grand Prix
    1972 Trans Am clone

Quote Originally Posted by TININDN View Post
    Pete -

I've also noticed that the PY site has seemed to slow down the past three weeks - maybe just a coincidence or the post holiday blahs
    Dave, not familar with PY site, what is it???
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

TININDN Guest

Probably the most popular older (versus the popular newer GTO/G8 and Bird sites) Pontiac site - but, basically a chat room, IMO.

022561 Guest

Les, Congratulations for updating the sccpoci site. The pictures at the Proud Bird were great! How is the place doing? Looks like alot of renovation was done. About ten or so years back it was pretty scruffy, but now with all the planes outside it looks quite different. I must confess the place has always been a special place for me because it was the site for my wedding reception about a hundred years ago.
    Getting back to your other comments, I did respond to the guy with the fuel gauge problem, but I did wait for a expert to chime in first and when it never happened I jumped in.
    Dave called me one day to ask if I would do a early hydro tech spot and even though I know D type, P type and Roto type 1&2 theory, I felt that since I hadn't worked on, or even adjusted one in over thirty years I would would pass on that because you really need your hands in it all the time to know the details and especially to give advise. At the same time dave called I was also contemplating letting my POCI membership expire ( I did renew though) but if any of you want to know why just P/M me.
    The other comment was on this fast computer age we live in. I know what it's like to be in the middle of a job and to run into a problems. Responding to a guy who might be in the middle of a nightmare, while his memory is fresh helps him much more effectively solve his problem. By not responding in a timely manner the guy has packed it all in and pushed the car into the garage. I'm not saying you have to get back like NOW, but at least while it's fresh in his mind.

Don

Smile It was fun..........

Don,

Thanks, another consequence of a lack of capable volunteers .

The Proud Bird was clean and in good order. In the 60s I lived in Inglewood and worked for the 3M Company selling printing supplies through a dealer network. I spent many pleasant afternoons & evenings entertaining 3M execs., dealers, and customers @ the "Bird". Do you remember that in the old days the tables near the windows were equipped w/ headsets in order to allow the customers to hear the aircraft radio "chatter"?

I appreciate that you considered becoming a tech adviser since we can always use more help on both the local & national levels. Point well taken on the critical need for quick & accurate information on this, or any other technical forum.

Les
    1966 GTO Sport Coupe
    1968 Grand Prix
    1972 Trans Am clone

Les - It's off topic, but my son was born in Inglewood at Centinela hospital on 4-16-67. We lived in Hawthorne then. We made sure his future hospital visits were at Daniel Freeman due to major complications with his difficult birth. Centinela Hospital came very close to killing my wife due to major lab errors.

Regarding response from Technical Advisors here on the forum:

I check in almost every day during the week, rarely on weekends. Now I have seen a few people complaining about tech advisors. I would ask the critics why did they not Email the appropriate tech advisor directly? Everyone who Emails me directly gets a prompt reply, the only exception would be if they Emailed me Saturday or Sunday they probably won't hear from me until Monday morning. The two complainers I recall both had one or more responsible tech guy who had an Email address listed on the site. One member actually huffed that he should not HAVE to specifically Email the tech advisor, he should need only post his question on the forum for the right person to spot and give him a quick reply. It often works that way, but I must say if I have a question for a specific person I find it a good idea to Email THAT person. Even then, as 50scars says, a guy may be on a trip or something, try it both ways and I bet 90% of all questions will be answered in less than a day, most probably in a few hours.

Todd Crews
    POCI 1957 Technical Advisor

as I stated awhile ago, some advisors don't list an e-mails address. I just went through the listing in the Jan edition os S/S & 18 advisors don't list an e-mail including the CDN advisor, so how do you get in touch other than long distance phone calls I hope their home???
    Pete Barber 64 2+2 Htp. Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been "TURNED OFF"

Well, that is all true, but I guess one must assume that if there is a phone number listed then the guy is saying it is OK to call him. If he isn't home you can leave a message, and if he is then your answer is fastest of all.

022561 Guest

Les, Thanks for juggling my old memory, I do remember the headsets! Wow, fancy you remembering that. I grew up in Westchester so I had a few dates there as well as the reception.
    Jim, Centinella did have it's problems, so if we needed a hospital it was Daniel Freeman, Good Samaritan, or Little company of Mary. Wow both you guys have dragged my mind back into the past.
    Poci1957, we are not saying you haven't been doing your job. I see you all the time here, and at AACA. Guys like you and Mike are what we would like to see from every tech advisor. I will tell you though, I did call a tech advisor (must be 5-6 years ago) and the guy made me feel like I should have known the question I was asking and that I was disturbing his serenity. I would rather put the question out on the site than go through that again.

Don.

P/N, Les, did you have anything to do with Hiner coming back???