Ames Performance Engineering - Click Here!

POCI LINKS

2017 Annual Convention - Click Here! Visit the POCI Club Store - Click Here! Join us on Facebook - Click Here! Join us on Pinterest - Click Here! Vist the POMARC - Click Here!

Advertise on POCI.org
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Great idea on posting the former/current rides, a true blast from the past.

My 1st Pontiac was a 1956 4-door Star Chief, paid $35 for it from an Oldsmobile/GMC dealer's back row bargain lot (it had a broken leaf spring). I was 10 years old... used $ that I earned working at my dad's gas station. The car never did see the road, but it was one cool play house for a 10 year old! I spent many hours polishing the chrome bumpers, etc. What can I say, I was bitten by the Pontiac bug at an early age, I joined POCI when I was 15 yrs old, and was a charter member of the MN Tomahawk Chapter.

Next was a 1962 Catalina 4-door, maroon with red interior, I got my license in that car, had lots of fun in the ol' Cat, sold it to a friend, he drove it for many more miles

Then comes a '68 GTO hardtop, 400 automatic, Verdoro Green. I was a jr. in high school, nice car had a brand new paint job, excellent interior. The bad news: this car burned while in winter storage. The good news: I used the insurance $ to purchase one of my keepers (this was 1977, I was a sr. in high school, everyone was dumping their muscle cars...high cost of insurance, and the high (?) gas prices):

1969 GTO Judge convertible, 400 RAIII, 4 speed, A/C, P/W 8-track player, lots and lots of stories/memories with the Judge

1950 Pontiac 2-door business coupe - this one got me interested in older Ponchos, ended up selling it

1949 Pontiac sedan delivery - had a passion for the delivery trucks.... 1980 is when I found this one, took a train out to Wilmington DE and drove this one home to MN, no problems, has the "keep on truckin'" guy hand painted on the side. Still have this one, needs total restoration

Other high school cars:

(2) 1963 Grand Prixs a blue one and a maroon one - junkyard for both of these :-(
    1962 Bonneville Safari Wagon - junkyard
    1962 Star Chief 4-door - sold

Cars while in college, all long gone:
    1961 Star Chief 4-door - junked
    1963 Catalina 4 door, had a 3-on-the-tree, junked
    1969 Catalina wagon - winter beater, junked
    1971 Catalina wagon - drove it to the very end, winter beater

Others owned over the years:
    1963 Tempest/LeMans hdtp - sold it
    1975 Astre SJ station wagon (sold)
    1969 GTO Judge hardtop 400 3-spd, sold it to my brother
    (3) 1976 GP 75th anniv cars (sold em all)
    1970 Bonneville 2 dr hardtop 455 - sold it
    several other 75-78 Astre and Sunbird station wagons and hardtops
    1965 Tempest 4-door station wagon
    1949 Pontiac 4-door - parted out
    1950 Pontiac 4-door - parted out
    1953 Pontiac 2-door - parted out
    1966 Bonneville 4-door - parted out
    1976 Ventura 4-door - don't remember this one's fate
    1980 Firebird 455 4-spd project.... sold it, long story...
    1980 Grand Prix -dark blue, this one was from TN and very nice V6 auto, sold it
    1969 Grand Prix SJ 428 auto - sold it
    1969 Pontiac Bonneville Superior Hearse w/428, this was a great pro-car, sold it to finance the '51 Pontiac sedan delivery
    1990 Trans Sport - drove it until it died 180K+ if I remember
    1993 Grand Am - parted it out after a few years of driving duty
    1993 LeMans 2 dr - threw a timing belt on this one driving it to the POCI convention in Grand Rapids, MI, it was a pretty good commuter car though, fixed it and drove it many more miles, had more engine problems, actually dropped another engine in it and donated it to a local charity

GMCs
    My dad bought a 1971 GMC 3/4 ton pickup brand new, served the family well for many years
    Had a 1957 GMC 4x4 NAPCO conversion w/the Pontiac V8, sold it - needed total restoration
    1974 GMC Vandura 1/2 ton conversion van - you remember these right, murals on the side, carpeting and the rest?
    1986 GMC Suburban 4x4 - yard truck, sold it

Chevy Trucks - had a '51 sedan delivery back in high school and also a '51 1-ton panel truck, this one was great taking to the drive in movies loaded w/friends in the back! sold both long ago...

Currently in the corral...

1951 Pontiac sedan delivery (bought about 15 yrs ago in IA from a POCI member) great driver, original straight 8, 3 on the tree

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Safari (made this one into a panel truck) factory V6 automatic, fun little car, drove it home to MN from Tulsa OK about 10 years ago

1982 J2000 3-dr hatchback, just picked this one up, unique style, sluggish with its 1.8 liter 2 bbl engine, but is supposed to get 40+ mpg, driving it as a winter beater right now

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Photos of '62 Cat (1973) '63 GP and '69 Judge (1977) '51 SD is a recent shot
    Attached Images Attached Images

okay, so posting what we paid for some of these can drive all of us nuts!
    I bought my 65 GTO convertible for $300 in 1979 with a freeze plug out of it.
    Think I spent less than $50.00 on it over the next three years/30,000 miles.
    Boy that car was fun....
    Anyone got a time machine?
    Tim

TININDN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hanson Motor Co. View Post
    okay, so posting what we paid for some of these can drive all of us nuts!
    I bought my 65 GTO convertible for $300 in 1979 with a freeze plug out of it.
    Think I spent less than $50.00 on it over the next three years/30,000 miles.
    Boy that car was fun....
    Anyone got a time machine?
    Tim
    After I retired my '64 Catalina from racing, and being "arm twisted" by a fellow racer that was into 'vetts, I bought a new (ordered in the late summer of '66) 1967 Corvette coupe - 427/435 - raced it for two years and sold it for what I paid for it - $5,000. I still dream that car is sitting in the corner of my garage. On the same note, a college buddy of mine, who's father had piles of money, used to send him off to school each year with a new muscle car. One year he arrived with a panther pink/black vinyl top hemi Challenger - it was a SE version with the small back window. I found out last year from a hemi nut out here that knows where everyone of those cars is/went, that he claims was a one of one and it still exists.

Yes - I'm also looking for that time machine - BTW - I paid $4,000 for that '64 Catalina new, and paid $12,000 to get it back - yes, it's the same car - talk about lucky! I'm not quite sure I could afford to find that Corvette though.

I paid $ 3,300 for my '68 427 Vette in 1977-- about a $ 1 / pound. Now hamburger meat costs more than that.

If I had bought 10 of these cars in '77, I might be retired now--- of course that assumes I'd be willing to sell a few of them. It does get hard to sell these things once you've owned them for 10 years or more.

Ken

66GTO tripower 3spd car, 125.00 in 1982.

74 Grand Prix SJ 65.00 from a Coke Head who needed to make a stereo payment. No LIe, Drove it home!

Mike

6. Default

The 64 GTO cp I bought in the 80's was almost complest. less motor, still had the 4 speed, and all interior was there except seats. The car was also full of new 2x4's. I got the car for $40 and the lady let me keep the wood.
    Took what I wanted off the car and still sold it for $600.

Larry Crider
    RT 66 Oklahoma
    POCI Director
    Southern Division

Default Prices

Don't get me started (but you did!).
    1964 GTO Tri-power convert bought off the back row of a used car lot in 1974 for $650.
    1963 Grand Prix bought in 1975 for $425 (traded a '58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser and $300). Had a mint black interior, ran great.
    1937 Pontiac sedan, running amateur resto, bought in 1973 for $600. Drove it home.
    1969 Judge bought new for $4200.
    1972 GP bought new for $5600.
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN
    Southern Division Director
    1961 Ventura 2-door kustom

I'll bet I can take the biggest Dumbass award of the bunch.

The 63 SD catalina that was in the Randy Williams estate, I'm sure you all know the car.

I passed that up the week before Randy bought it for 5k. I was on the hunt for a drag car and knew the frame wouldn't take abuse I'd dish out street racing.

Told You It wa a stupid move.

Default DA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nixon View Post
    I'll bet I can take the biggest Dumbass award of the bunch.

The 63 SD catalina that was in the Randy Williams estate, I'm sure you all know the car.

I passed that up the week before Randy bought it for 5k. I was on the hunt for a drag car and knew the frame wouldn't take abuse I'd dish out street racing.

Told You It wa a stupid move.
    We probably all have a dumbass move, looking back with our 20-20 hindsight.
    Last edited by decotriumph; January 7th, 2010 at 19:23.
    Alan Mayes
    Tullahoma, TN
    Southern Division Director
    1961 Ventura 2-door kustom

Not quite as many as some here, but here's my list....

1969 Catalina.....my first car
    1984 Trans Am...still own
    1989 Trans Am...still own
    1994 Trans Am...still own
    1998 Firebird......still own