PDA

View Full Version : Traditional G/P's

Mike Nixon
December 9th, 2008, 15:26
How many owners of RWD G/P's do we have here?

My current driver's a 65 389 car.

I've got several others waiting in the wings.

What do you have and how many?

Mike

DBANDGB
December 9th, 2008, 17:50
I have a 63 gp. Right now i am in the process of jacking body up to repair rusty frame. I was told to just replace the frame with another.

oldgto
December 10th, 2008, 05:29
I have a `69 Model J with a later 455 in it. The original 400 is on an engine stand in the garage. I also have a `66 GTO, 400, 4-speed.

ponchogeezer
December 10th, 2008, 11:20
unfortunatly I sold my 66 because it was too big for me to care for in my 10 x20 garage since my diabetes beat me up.I sold it to my nephew who wrecked it.Now I have a little fiero in the garage with plenty of room to play. phil the geez

oldgto
December 10th, 2008, 18:27
sold it to my nephew who wrecked it

Which is exactly WHY one of my older boys will have to wait to inherit the GTO until I`m not around to watch him wreck it, LOL!

ponchogeezer
December 11th, 2008, 14:08
The reason I sold it was because none of my chiildren or grand kids would buy it for 3k[when they felt like giving me some of the cash]I put the car at my sons house w/o a garage when I bought my fiero convertible.With it sitting out naked was driving me crazy.MY GRABDSON was driving it and taking care of it,but since it was away from home it bugged me.iBEGGED ONE OF THE family to buy it.I guess they were afriad if they hurt her I would cut them out of the will.

oldgto
December 12th, 2008, 16:31
I think we`ve all had a regretable time like that. I had a 66 Tempest sitting on the side a couple years back. Offered to let one of the boys have it. He started talking about cutting the springs, 20something inch wheels, and filling the trunk with stereo garbage. I couldn`t stand the thought of it, and sold the car.
Thinking back, I should have KEPT the car, and told the boy to buy himself a Honda.

ponchogeezer
December 12th, 2008, 16:53
yeah ,but if I had akid who was inerested in keeping a family member close[tempest] I could stand new age styling just as long as he didnt abuse it.The younger hot roders have a different ball game to play than we did.rEMEMBER THECARS WE DESTROYED.38 chevy,53 stude .39 willtes,34 buick,more than 1 55 chevy?To have my suns and grandsons going to Carlisle with me ,with plans for some rebuild is priceless.

bigsqueez70ssj
December 13th, 2008, 00:05
I have a 70 hurst ssj with the rare black and gold paint. no.'s matching 400, auto and black interior. I inherited the car when my father Billy Smith past away. Who is/was a member of the POCI for years. He bought the car for a $100, put a fresh five gallons of fuel and a new battery in her and drove the car out of the weeds from collinsville, Ok to Owasso, Ok (home, about ten miles) in 1984. At the time he was going to use it for parts for another car he was building. Well that didn't happen! We semi-restored the car and he got to enjoy it for about five years before he got sick. My Dad got sick after the POCI convention in Tulsa, Ok in '07. He past away on Dec 3rd '08. He loved showing the car to anyone who would take the time to look at it. Just thought i would share this, someone out there mite know him or the car. Thanks for taking the time to read this, Mark

Mike Nixon
December 13th, 2008, 09:58
yeah ,but if I had akid who was inerested in keeping a family member close[tempest] I could stand new age styling just as long as he didnt abuse it.The younger hot roders have a different ball game to play than we did.rEMEMBER THECARS WE DESTROYED.38 chevy,53 stude .39 willtes,34 buick,more than 1 55 chevy?To have my suns and grandsons going to Carlisle with me ,with plans for some rebuild is priceless.

I've got 3 boys, The oldest who has C.P. Is really into Pontiacs, I catch him staring at the 65 G/P a LOT.

The youger ones, 5 and twins, are showing serious interest also. In the next couple years I'm going to get them involved in a truck project to see how interested they are. If they're serious we do a car.

Mike

ponchogeezer
December 13th, 2008, 11:43
I didnt get married 'til I was32. Imarried a woman with 2 teen aged boys and a19 yr old daughter.My brother had a '55 sedan delivery with az28 302 w/crossram intake for drag racing.I thought going to the track would be fun for all of us.One of the boys loved it so him and I played with some cars.THE first car I bought him was a safariw/389.All went well till he fell in love.I was alonely pop after that.Wish I could start over with them,,I wouldn't make as many mistakes

Mike Nixon
December 16th, 2008, 09:49
I got married late also. I'm 42 my twins are 5. I've got enough stuff sitting that if they're interested they'll have a project or two each.

I've been buying Pontiacs and IH trucks for several years to keep them from the crusher.

We drive a vintage car every summer and it's I'm also either building customer cars or one of mine most of the time so they're being exposed.

It comes down to this, When I'm dead, If they want them they can have them, if not they can have one helluva sale.

Mike

ponchogeezer
December 18th, 2008, 09:30
If I had a drivers license I would be more inclined to have something to go all the time.Since my wife is the only driver[driver isnt really correct.At73 she is a frightening thing behind the wheel.I would love to go to one more convention,especialy the one in daton.

Mike Nixon
December 19th, 2008, 12:09
There'll be people from your area going, why not hitch a ride and split costs?

Mike

ponchogeezer
December 19th, 2008, 14:11
thats a thought mike.I thought of that too. That will be alast minute decision if I cant get any other solution. phil

GpFreak
December 28th, 2008, 14:35
Mike, I hear ya, I have twin 5 1/2 year old boys at 43 now for me, have a Gp convert and I'm in the process of looking for a nice '69 or '70 Gp (more for myself) that will be their inheritance whether they like it or not. I've had Gp blood in my veins since day one learning to drive with my parents '74 and will never give up on these great cars.:) Poncho, I wish I could help, but I probably won't be able to attend either, maybe some day down the road for me, but I hope someboby helps you out this time.

Mike Nixon
December 28th, 2008, 21:09
The ONLY reason we'll be attending this yr is because it's so close to home and We have a freind who'll put us up within 20minutes of the Nutter Center.It als may be the only time POCI and GTOAA does this together. I hope not as I think it's a great idea that could increase attendence for both clubs overall and in future events. It makes sense to me as most people save for one event and to combine these, with a race will increase the chance it'll be this one.

Mike

Keith Seymore
January 21st, 2009, 07:48
Hey guys -

What's with all the twins? I have twin 9 year old girls (adopted). Perhaps we need to start a new "specialty" chapter: "Traditional GP Owner's who have Twins"...

(lol)

K

Here's mine:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/hotrod001/Grand%20Prix/GPRFlow.jpg

Mike Nixon
January 21st, 2009, 08:32
Keith, As I've told you before, That's a sweet Prix.

Mike

carguy1959
January 25th, 2009, 14:18
I've got a 64 GP that I have owned about 7 years. It's not a show car. Just a respectable driver. I bought it as a basket case. I did all the work myself (motor/trans swap, paint and body work, interior, etc). It has a 68 400 motor and 400 trans. the paint is 66 Corvette sunfire yellow with gold and blue pearl in the clear. Black vinyl top. My seats are out of a 98 2dr GP.
Steve

GpFreak
February 7th, 2009, 12:07
Good looking car, gotta love the Hurst dual gate!

Les Iden
May 26th, 2009, 00:00
I own one of the last "B" body GPs: the 68, as featured in the movie "Goodfellas". You know, the dark looking project car that they threw all of the bodies into the cavernous trunk :).

I resto-modded my GP, removing the # matching 400 hi comp. motor, and replacing it w/ a 9 to 1 pump gas 455 w/ dual quads. I had it repainted the original Cameo Ivory over Mayfair Maize, and it has the cool Ivy Gold interior w/ an olive colored dash pad. All it needs is a lava lamp and **** carpet to take you back to the "love in" era. Being a Southwestern car for all of it's existence, it has led a rust-free life, making restoration an easy task. My wife and I have traversed the USA in grand touring style while riding in this big ol' car :D .

We leave on July 2, bound for Dayton CoVention, and what promises to be one of the largest Pontiac gatherings that we have ever attended.

Les

Mike Nixon
August 1st, 2009, 18:36
I thought I'd post this here. I added another G/P to the fleet last week.

69 Model J white exterior, black interior, 82k miles, Tilt ,A/C, Bucket seat comfort weave int, Black vinyl top.

Parked in 77, the story I got is because he rubbed the garage door with the car and got disgusted. Protecto plate is in the Console, drivetrain is original.

The interior in this car is amazing.

You can check photos out here.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606298

My Laptop is new and I'm still learning the tricks to it. Resizing photos is one I've not learned yet.

MIke

perryka
August 5th, 2009, 19:41
Recently picked up a 67 GP hardtop, 428 with lots of options.

Story is it's been sitting for 20 or so years, mostly inside. Texas car with very little rust, most everything intact. Working on getting everything working, will try firing it up soon. First GP after a couple of Bonnevilles. Very excited about this project. Goal is to have it moving and stopping under its own power in a couple more months.

Alan

1964_Catalina
October 16th, 2009, 19:10
Hello Mike. I realize this thread is about a year old now but I would like to let you know I own a 1964 GP teal with white vinyl top. She has 103k on the 389 four barrel, AT and AC. I was fortunate to find her in Sacramento where she spent her entire life and now resides with me in Poulsbo, WA west of seattle an hour.

I recently had the exhaust redone with 2.5 inch pipe and a pair of Pypes violator mufflers. The brakes were redone all around and am looking to cleanup and freshen the motor.

I also replaced the weatherstripping on trunk / doors and roofrail as the originals were harden to kingsford briquet type and crumbling after 45 years.

Mike Nixon
October 16th, 2009, 19:27
got any pics?

Mike Nixon
October 16th, 2009, 19:56
pic of the 69 I bought a couple months ago

Les Iden
October 27th, 2009, 15:58
One of my favorite Pontiacs: love the extended hood, creased fender peaks, and the short deck. European touring sedan style & handling all available @ a domestic price. :cool: .

Les

October 28th, 2009, 11:55
I think Les would look better in a 62 GP. Just the job.

Don

Mike Nixon
October 28th, 2009, 13:02
One of my favorite Pontiacs: love the extended hood, creased fender peaks, and the short deck. European touring sedan style & handling all available @ a domestic price. :cool: .

Les

You may see it next yr in person Les. Depends on how the winter goes.

wocoengr@gte.net
July 2nd, 2010, 18:05
My father has a 1962 grand prix and i have two waiting to be restored.

TININDN
July 2nd, 2010, 19:06
Great - we like pictures too

poncho89
July 27th, 2010, 09:02
'67 Plum Mist GP Convertible...in the process of being restored

Mike Nixon
July 27th, 2010, 13:24
Nice! Plum Mist is a georgous color