PDA

View Full Version : 09 solstice

GaryDN
September 22nd, 2009, 20:33
Hey there seen there are a couple of Solstice owner here so I thought I post

09 wicked GXP with the gmpp tune. love drive this car.

look forward to meeting other Pontiac owners

PMDJIM
September 25th, 2009, 12:48
Congrats. Coupe or roadster?

aukc
September 26th, 2009, 00:17
Here's a couple pictures of a Solstice GXP from this years Western Washington Firebirds All Pontiac Show'n'Shine.

This car had a crowd around it all day, and won it's class. If I remember it is an '07 and it's turbo'd and intercooled

(click pics to expand)

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/aukcc/2009%20Western%20Washington%20Firebirds/th_DSC_5596.jpg (http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/aukcc/2009%20Western%20Washington%20Firebirds/DSC_5596.jpg)

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/aukcc/2009%20Western%20Washington%20Firebirds/th_DSC_5597.jpg (http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/aukcc/2009%20Western%20Washington%20Firebirds/DSC_5597.jpg)

GaryDN
September 29th, 2009, 20:11
Roadster, hope to meet some members this up coming year. First car I have purchased in 24 years. First car I owned 68 camaro.

http://dinofrios.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10192&g2_serialNumber=2

FHummel
October 1st, 2009, 08:53
Hey there seen there are a couple of Solstice owner here so I thought I post

09 wicked GXP with the gmpp tune. love drive this car.

look forward to meeting other Pontiac owners

Gary,
I, too, have a Solstice - '07 GXP, 5 speed stick, Aggressive Red, with the GMPP tune and a DDM stiffener plate under the tunnel - it definitely helps, etc. You may have seen my earlier post. These are great driving cars with plenty of power. Had an interesting run a few days ago when a new Dodge Challenger 'tried' to stay with me (he was behind me) on a nice curvy road. He was disappointed because I drove away from him so quickly that he gave up. We waved at each other down the road when I reached my turn-off.
Have fun and let us hear more from you about your own driving experiences with the '09. The road handling is really what these cars excel at. Not much will stay with them, especially in the price range they sold for. It takes a lot more money to get comparable handling.
Where are you located? I'm in Georgia near Atlanta.
Frank

GaryDN
October 1st, 2009, 20:52
Hey Frank I have the backbone and I'm going to put it in tomorrow. Mine is a 5 speed as well. Shorty antenna, wind restrictor, honey cone fog light grills, custom fuse box cover.

I too had a 07 na too, upgrade when I heard no more solstices were to be made.

yeah you right I love driving the back twisty roads, it is a blast.

I'm up in Rhode Island, I am coming to Atlanta for work mid oct :)

we drove to the plant closing in july, that was a sad thing to see but it was nice to see the people that made our cars and thank them for doing a great job.

FHummel
October 6th, 2009, 10:11
Hey Frank I have the backbone and I'm going to put it in tomorrow. Mine is a 5 speed as well. Shorty antenna, wind restrictor, honey cone fog light grills, custom fuse box cover.

I too had a 07 na too, upgrade when I heard no more solstices were to be made.

yeah you right I love driving the back twisty roads, it is a blast.

I'm up in Rhode Island, I am coming to Atlanta for work mid oct :)

we drove to the plant closing in july, that was a sad thing to see but it was nice to see the people that made our cars and thank them for doing a great job.

Well, I guess you have the backbone in by now. If I had known sooner I may have saved you some trouble with that. I installed my own and found that the main thing I had to do was to release the muffler from its hangars to get the clearance for installing the DDM unit. Hope your install went OK. I was a little concerned at first that the bolts were going to be too short for the DDM unit thickness, but GM gave plenty of leeway with the bolt length (I used the 'Race' version with 3/8ths thickness) and even the extreme (1/2" thk) unit would have still been OK.
I'll send you a personal note shortly.
Frank

GaryDN
November 23rd, 2009, 21:29
Yes I did get the backbone installed, I purchased an air ratchet to get the job done quick and easy. I looking at several JPM upgrades for the inside and a solo exhaust (center). I put in HID lights and led dome lights. what a difference!!!

Well, I guess you have the backbone in by now. If I had known sooner I may have saved you some trouble with that. I installed my own and found that the main thing I had to do was to release the muffler from its hangars to get the clearance for installing the DDM unit. Hope your install went OK. I was a little concerned at first that the bolts were going to be too short for the DDM unit thickness, but GM gave plenty of leeway with the bolt length (I used the 'Race' version with 3/8ths thickness) and even the extreme (1/2" thk) unit would have still been OK.
I'll send you a personal note shortly.
Frank

cquist
November 24th, 2009, 01:11
If you really love the twisties then you may want to give www.peddersusa.com a call. Pete is a great guy and loves cars. I saw a Brazen GXP at a show this summer and it was beautiful.

GaryDN
November 24th, 2009, 06:44
hey cquist thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

I can't wait for spring so I can enjoy top down weather again, oh well

TININDN
December 4th, 2009, 10:19
Gary/Frank -

Do you guys know what the turbo Solstice with the GM kit are running for quarter mile times at the track?

I put the kit in my HHR-SS, its an automatic, and ran 14.4 secs. at 98 MPH on a very slippery track - wheel spin all the way through low gear. I've heard the HHR version of the tune is turned down for the automatics. But, it sure surprised a lot of folks - had one guy with a new Mustang ask me in the staging lanes if it had a 5.3 L in it.

GaryDN
December 4th, 2009, 13:16
I've heard from 11-13 sec. I can't say these are stock. I know of on guy with a sky and he dyno at over 400hp.

Mine stock with the GMPP tune, (shift no lift) flys! never been to the track to time it.

just think what would happen with the 5L in there :)

Gary/Frank -

Do you guys know what the turbo Solstice with the GM kit are running for quarter mile times at the track?

I put the kit in my HHR-SS, its an automatic, and ran 14.4 secs. at 98 MPH on a very slippery track - wheel spin all the way through low gear. I've heard the HHR version of the tune is turned down for the automatics. But, it sure surprised a lot of folks - had one guy with a new Mustang ask me in the staging lanes if it had a 5.3 L in it.

GaryDN
December 18th, 2009, 06:17
I decided to give my car the look they had in the orignal design of the car. This is dual exhaust center and stacked. the concept car had this look and I really like it. so the new exhaust is in but waiting on a new rear valance. my xmas gift to myself :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/garydn/CarMods#

FHummel
December 23rd, 2009, 06:47
Gary,
I did not see pictures of the concept car. I like the look, but have to say that it will be prone to damage particularly in the case of entering driveways that slope up from the roadway. I like the center clustering of the pipe tips, but would prefer (my personal opinion) that the tips be side by side and flatter configuration to avoid the potential damage I cited. I haven't investigated alternative configurations, but assume they are out there.
Good to see you posting on here. Wish more of the Solstice owners would join POCI so we could have a really good discussion board.
I still get a big grin on my face every time I get in the '07 GXP and drive (only in good weather). Only occasionally see another Sol (or Sky) on the road, so I have an almost exclusive showcase for my car.
Did you get down to Atlanta? Had thought you might contact me when you did.
Drive and have fun with the Sol.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Frank

GaryDN
December 23rd, 2009, 07:05
yes they make the stacked and side by side exhaust. I have a very steep driveway and it does not hit. Then again I so slow so the front does not hit :)

my trip to ATL was very short, maybe next year if things improve I will be coming down quarterly.

as far as the concept car you should get yourself the Solstice Book. it is a great read about a great car. I was given the artwork for the release of the solstice 2006. it is still sealed, not sure I want to open it :)

FHummel
December 24th, 2009, 06:59
Gary,
I guess not having the rear valance on your car may throw off the perspective. Thinking about it I can see that because of the rear axle centerline and its relative position (front to rear) of the exhaust tip end, there probably is more clearance than I first thought (if all that makes sense). Anyway, it is certainly a unique appearance and may give some folks pause for reflection as to what the car's potential might be. Fun factor?
Do they use the same exhaust tip configuration in the side-by-side version? I might be interested in a setup like that, but would still prefer a 'flatter' tip configuration. Does your source also provide the rear valance? If you don't mind my asking, what kind of costs are we talking about?
I'm not sure what Solstice book you refer to. I do have one of the initial brochures as related to the 'Apprentice' TV show. I believe these were primarily intended for the owners of the first 1000 vehicles, but more were put out than 1000. It's a neat collectors item for any Solstice owner. A car-friend of mine recently gave the brochure (in excellent condition) to me.
Frank

FHummel
December 24th, 2009, 07:18
Gary/Frank -

I have seen some reports on the Solstice forums of cars running in the low 13's at 101 to 104 mph in the 1/4 mile. Supposedly with just the GMPP tune in the GXP. I don't recall seeing whether these were stick or auto cars. Also these were run on street tires (purportedly). Nonetheless, impressive times and mph for a little 2 liter engine pushing a near 3000 lb (2976 curb weight) car (plus the driver - I weigh 155).
However, straightline performance (although a great plus) is not where these cars were designed to really excel - the 'twisties' is where it's at! Hardly any of the so-called modern muscle cars (Dodge Challenger, Ford Mustang and Chev. Camaro, etc.) can stay with a Sol on those kinds of roads. I know, because I leave them behind without much trouble inspite of their 'superior' power (Ha!). But, in all fairness, we're not comparing apples to apples.
However, I give some of the Mustang GTs a fit on the straight-line runs, much to their (not so pleasant) surprise. Of course, they do get to see one of the nice design features of the Solstice - the rear facia.
Frank

GaryDN
December 24th, 2009, 09:42
Solstice Book is here: (http://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-Solstice-Book-Gary-Witzenburg/dp/0932128130/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261667519&sr=8-1)
It covers the concept thru the production of the Sky. Really a good book to read if you like you car.

Solo Performace makes the exhaust system. they have the center I think you will like

http://solo-performance.com/exhaustk.php

http://solo-performance.com/pics/exhaustkits/GXP%20RCD/2.jpg?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=false&height=500&width=770

Prices are on their site, Norm from the forum (Norm's fiberglass) makes the valance and will paint it any color you like. I'm having mine painted to match the car. Also I'm getting the diffuser style.

http://solo-performance.com/pics/exhaustkits/GXP%20RCD/10.jpg?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=false&height=500&width=770

on that note, Merry Christmas everyone :)

48Woodie
January 3rd, 2010, 12:54
Gary
yes when summer gets here you won't want to stop driving. Solstice group here in Tulsa was doing monthly or more cruises. Love the 2 lane twisties inbetween the smaller cities. There is a road course about 45 minutes from me. A group of us rented the track for a day and played. Wow what a experience. Car really handled super and right now I have no upgrades concerning suspension.
:)

GaryDN
January 9th, 2010, 21:00
yes they are great driving cars. it hard to have it just sitting but it is the price we pay for living here in the north