PDA

View Full Version : 2005 bonneville GXP

TA Collector
December 25th, 2013, 18:07
we have found a 2005 GXP bonneville with 58k miles and was thinking about buying it to replace our 2006 grand prix gt.
just looking for anyone that owns one or who has owned one.
wanting to know what to look for,are they good for the long range like 200k miles.
just looking for advice or info on these good or bad before we would make a purchase.

04BonnieGXP
February 8th, 2015, 17:46
We have owned an 04 Bonneville GXP for a little over 3 years. It had 67K miles on it when we bought it and now has 101K. It has been a good car so far. The only repairs I have made has been sway bar end links and a high pressure power steering hose. It will use a quart of oil between changes but I understand this to be normal for Northstar's. They say that eventually the head gasket will go and when it does, it is costly. I found a former Cadillac mechanic that would do it for a little over $2K. Some other Northstar owners may chime in but I've been told it's not a question of if but when it will go. The engine has to be pulled out to change this gasket, which is why it costs so much.
With all that said, I have enjoyed the car and would buy another one. It gets just under 18 mpg mostly city driving and we run regular gas. Oil changes require 8 quarts. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and change it every 3K miles.
They are cool cars and there aren't a lot of them out there. Hope this helps in your decision making.