PDA

View Full Version : 69 Lemans Restoration Project

jb369
July 28th, 2011, 12:54
I have a 69 Pontiac Lemans convertible that I want to begin restoring, but had some questions. The car has been in the family since 69 and has been garage kept. I had it out on the road for the first time in a few years. The car runs fine, however the engine needs a tune up and a good cleaning.

The exterior has it share of dings so it needs some body work, paint and new convertible top. The frame and the mechanics for top are in good working condition.

On the interior, the carpet needs to be replaced and it needs a good cleaning. The upolstery is original and I'd like to keep it. However, there is area about 6" long at a seam on the rear seat that needs to be resticthed and 2 areas on the front seats that need restitching, but all in all, its in good shape, and again needs a good cleaning.

I'm looking forward to working on the project with my father and getting the Lemans back into shape.

My question(s) is, where do I start the process, interior or exterior? Should I have the body work done before I work on the interior work? Should I have the top replaced before the body work, after, at the same time?

Thanks in advance for your help and comments

frosty
November 26th, 2011, 20:14
My decisions would be based on safety, funds, and what I can't stand the most. I would get the engine turn up and get it running reliably. Second would depend on if there is a hole on the top or not. If there is a hole, fix it. If not, move on to the interior. Carpet and original grain OER car seats and panels are plentiful. So you can sprouse up the interior for a few bucks and not break the bank. A new top runs about $500-800 installed. Body work will cost the most depending on if you and your dad do it or you pay someone to work on it. It is the most timing consumng activity to be sure. Paint is not cheap either, but take your time and do it right.

Bob in El Paso
November 27th, 2011, 09:43
Great advice!