PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain n' gears

My63GP
October 8th, 2010, 13:42
Am told the '69 GP I recently bought has the original timing chain and gears! So, anyone suggest a replacement/upgrade? If I can improve performance while staying stock, that works for me? So many choices! Cloyes, Crane...:confused:

Mike Nixon
October 13th, 2010, 08:13
Buy a good quality double roller chain with steel gears, I don't like Cloyes units. I've had them stretch in a few thousand miles in performance usage. I've had good luck with the Eldebrock units.

My63GP
October 21st, 2010, 12:56
Ok, got my edelbrock timing chain and gears...and my gasket set. Ready to tackle the job. Anything tips or tricks I could use to make the installation quicker and perhaps more successful?

Mike Nixon
October 21st, 2010, 14:34
That's a pretty straight forward job. If it's still running well line the dots up at their closest point and have at it. Normally the fuel pump eccentric is clocked so it installs easier @ TDC on Number 1 cyl.

BOBW
October 10th, 2011, 00:01
1969 timing gear if it is original is an aluminum gear with nylon teeth. If you pull the cover off and any teeth or parts of teeth are missing pull the oil pan and find them. They will end up in the oil pump. NOT A GOOD THING!