PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Pontiac G8-GT

FHummel
April 8th, 2010, 09:50
I purchased one of these 'mature folks' hot rods just over a week ago. It really brings back memories of the 'old days' when Pontiac was king of the roads and drag strips in the early 60's. These cars rival the super duties of that era with all the bells and whistles to boot (IMHO). With somewhat minor modifications these late models will really surprise many of the more expensive 'executive-type' hot rod owners for far less money. But enough of the hot-rodding aspect, these are great road cars!!
Mine is Panther Black Metallic with the Onyx/Red leather interior, premium sport package, and the 6 speed automatic (no option on trans). Mileage while not great is good considering the performance aspect: 16-18 city and 24+ highway mpg.
Let's hear from some more of my fellow POCI G8 owners. What do you like,or dislike about your cars? Any particularly noteworthy experiences (good or bad) that you'd care to share?
FHummel

cquist
April 12th, 2010, 11:19
Nice car. Only problem I have heard of is the roof antenna being too big. I have seen a couple instances where it has been ripped off by a garage door. You can buy an aftermarket low profile one if you think you need to. have fun with it.

FHummel
January 17th, 2011, 07:07
To all who may be interested:
I am still enjoying this car after nearly 14,000 miles since last February, and am continually impressed with the operation and performance of this completely stock vehicle. The operation is seemingly flawless and performance is almost 'fluid'. I use the term 'fluid' in regard to the acceleration and power right from zero mph to the extreme (although I have only 'briefly' run it up to 130 mph - don't misunderstand, I'm not advocating this as a general practice). I've done a lot of interstate driving in the past two months and am continually impressed with the comfort and reasonable gas mileage (averaging in the 24 to 26 mpg range at 70 mph) for the power that is available at the touch of the toe.
The driver/passenger amenities are most enjoyable: the sound system is great; heated leather seating is really a joy in cold weather; the quiet windshield wiper operation is most appreciated; and for a bit of fun, the sport shift-driving of the 6 speed automatic satisfies the need for manual operation from time to time. I could say a lot more, but this gives you a pretty good idea of at least one satisfied, long-time Pontiac owner.
If you get the chance to drive one of these machines, I strongly suggest you do so.

Frank

TININDN
January 17th, 2011, 21:29
Frank -

Glad you enjoy your G8. My wife has owned an '04 GTO since she bought it new. I've never heard anything bad, only good and great things about these Holden cars.

Pontiac should have been allowed to remain as a GM brand simply importing and selling the Holden product in my opinion. It would have allowed some more diversity in the GM line-up.

FHummel
January 18th, 2011, 05:02
Dave,
I agree with that (obviously). Where have the Bunkie Knudsens and John DeLoreans all gone? Lutz made a try at it, but it was too little too late. The Holden facility is there, up and running and producing good products, but GM management just doesn't seem to have the where-withal to make full use of it for the American market. I think that the Chevrolet division hierarchy has a lot to do with the demise of Pontiac. That animosity for the Pontiac division has been there for a long time (IMHO).
Frank

cquist
January 18th, 2011, 09:44
Seems to me the main problem was geographics. It was expensive to import these cars and it drove the price up more than Pontiac(GM) wanted. Also if you need parts it can be a hassle. That being said they are still using Holden. Holden is a Gm Brand since the 30's. They have the best selling cars in Australia. They make the Zeta platform which is used for the new Camaro. So the drivetrain and chasis are still being built and shipped by Holden. Same as the G8 and GTO anyone who has driven a new Camaro will tell you it feels like one of the best built cars they have ever driven. Hopefully Holdens role expands more into our Market. Hopefully as a Pontiac again.

FHummel
January 18th, 2011, 10:27
Seems to me the main problem was geographics. It was expensive to import these cars and it drove the price up more than Pontiac(GM) wanted. Also if you need parts it can be a hassle. That being said they are still using Holden. Holden is a Gm Brand since the 30's. They have the best selling cars in Australia. They make the Zeta platform which is used for the new Camaro. So the drivetrain and chasis are still being built and shipped by Holden. Same as the G8 and GTO anyone who has driven a new Camaro will tell you it feels like one of the best built cars they have ever driven. Hopefully Holdens role expands more into our Market. Hopefully as a Pontiac again.

Sounds like a serious '04 GTO you have there!!
I might add that I have also owned an '05 GTO - 6 speed and it was a blast to drive! Enjoyed that one for almost 3 years, then sampled the marvelous little Solstice GXP '07 roadster for a year (with the turbo upgrade - wow!) before swapping it in for the present '09 G8-GT. All (IMHO) great cars from Pontiac (even if two were made in Australia).
Frank

Fly GTO
January 24th, 2011, 18:56
I bought my sport red GXP (manual) in Jun 09 and have enjoyed it as my daily driver (except when it snows). The power and handling are very good and it is a blast to drive. Gas mileage for me has averaged right at 20 mpg, which isn't great, but considering the power, room, comfort, etc...it isn't bad. I did find the limits of the Goodyear RSAs yesterday however...not forgiving at all. No mods as my 65 GTO is my money pit. And yes GM has, and have had, a bunch of idiots at the helm with Chevrolet stink all over them for a very long time. Those of you in OZ should feel lucky that corporate GM doesn't mess with Holden like they do with the stateside brands.
Brian

FHummel
March 8th, 2011, 06:20
Well, I have a new use for my G8/GT - towing a small trailer for transporting my canoe. Yep - just added a trailer hitch (can double for helping other cars to 'keep up' with the G8 - just kidding of course). Anyway, just an old man trying to recapture some of the fun of youth. The hitch is made by Draw-Tite and is a perfect fit with no alterations needed - strictly a bolt-on application - and it comes out under the rear facia. I did leave off the aluminum heat-shield because I didn't want to alter it for future replacement. The hitch inherently provides heat-shielding for the spare tirewell. With the ball mount portion removed the hitch is barely noticeable and ground clearance is still very good. The trailer is an all aluminum frame unit so it is very light - less than 125 lbs. - and the hitch weight of about 45 lbs and canoe of about 95 lbs all add up to about the weight of two average size people riding along. I've also modified the trailer to haul light loads of building materials from time to time which eliminates the need for a pickup truck (at least in my case).
Hope I didn't bore you with an old man's endeavors, but I thought some others might be interested in a similiar use of their 'hot-rod' G8. I intend to make full use of mine.
Have fun and be safe.
Frank